London to Brighton 2023.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am thinking of doing it next year and would like any advice on it. I will be coming from North Wales the night before and stay in Brighton for another night after the event.
I reckon it will take me about 5 hours to do it but , as I hate going any where near or in London, is the start close to the M25 or more towards the city?
I used to live in Worthing 40 years ago so I might also have a quick look there to see how much it has changed.
Any tips from any of you who has done it?
Bear in mind I am in my 70's now.

MichaelO

Veteran
It starts on Clapham Common, so a fair way inside the M25 (presume you mean the BHF ride). I've done it twice years ago (and live on the route at about mile 18, just outside the M25). I enjoyed it (I'd only just starting cycling again when I first did it around 2010) - you certainly get a very varied mixture of cyclists - some club riders pushing their way through, and more social/charity cyclists. The London part isn't too bad, as the start times are early in the morning (6-8am?) so the roads are quite quiet.
I'm glad I did it, but not sure I'd do it again. And other than Ditchling Beacon, it's a fairly steady route.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what Michael has said, it starts on Clapham Common. The route will take you through South London and London suburbs. Tooting, Mitcham, Carshalton. then heading into semi rural before crossing the M25, then mainly rural. There's plenty of map resources online where you can find the route.
5 Hours? If you are stuck in the main bunch then that is a pipedream, mainly due to the sheer amount of cyclists, especially those that have got out and dusted down bikes from their garages for a once a year ride who stop without warning and jump off at the slightest incline.
If you have a very early start and steer clear of the bunch then you could do 5 hours. The route is about 55 miles including a couple of fairly big hills. Turners & Ditchling (If you are with the big bunch at Ditchling, then you are almost guaranteed a walk due to the sheer amount of walkers).
Like Michael I did it once. never again.
If you want to stay in Brighton then book asap as I can imagine that places will be at a premium.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Also, note that bikes are not allowed on trains out of Brighton on the day.
Parking in Brighton is also a nightmare. Don't even think about it if you are driving.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've done it many times. It's a very busy ride so aim for the earliest start you can get, if you're riding 'officially' as it bottlenecks badly at a few places.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Very interesting comments I see and after reading them, I feel this Sportive is not for me really on several counts:
- too many participants.
- going by car and parking could be a problem.
- cost of accommodation probably too high.
- not keen on London anyway.
So, all things considered, I am seriously considering dropping the idea and think of another one.
Thank you all for your very appreciated views and I am glad I asked.

Sharky

Guru
I've done it 4 times. Can't believe it was a mere 35 years ago, but still fresh in my mind. As others have said, you can get into huge bike jams which force you to walk. Took me about 8 hrs to do the ride down to Brighton, but only 4 hrs to ride back home near Dartford. Oh and I rode to the start as well. The first time I did it, I hit the "wall" on the way back at Tunbridge Wells and had to get the OH to pick me up. For the other three rides, I fuelled better and was mentally prepared for it and got
all the way home. Think it was about a 140 mile round trip.

Can't really be classed as a bike event, but as a mass participation day out, its a really good day.

I'd love to try it again, maybe.....

PK99

Legendary Member
Very interesting comments I see and after reading them, I feel this Sportive is not for me really on several counts:
- too many participants.
- going by car and parking could be a problem.
- cost of accommodation probably too high.
- not keen on London anyway.
So, all things considered, I am seriously considering dropping the idea and think of another one.
Thank you all for your very appreciated views and I am glad I asked.

It's not really a Sportive (proper cyclists "not racing") its Charity Ride packed full of non-regular cyclists. Mostly the random punters are ok, it's some club riders forcing their way through and whose close and aggressive passing is actively dangerous.

Sharky

Guru
The issue with the L2B is that it's a place to place ride, so logistically you have to work out where you are going to park, stay and how you get back. This was one of the reasons why I attempted to ride there and back. A sportive which starts and finishes in the same place is much more practical.

Another ride that I have done is the "castle ride", which starts and finishes in Tonbridge. This sort of event usually has good food stops and a lot less riders. Don't think it is your patch, but there must be similar in your area.

Or just ride a 50 mile TT!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The logistics, as said, can be a problem.
I've been lucky over the many times I've done the L2B. I worked for Sainsbury's so got permission, a few times, to park in the Clapham Sains car park, stay in Brighton then ride back in the morning.
Once, we rode back inland a bit and stayed overnight before heading back to Clapham on the Monday.
Once, several of us rode from Northampton to a Battersea Premier or Travelodge (can't remember which one it was) rode to the start on Sunday, Travelodge in Brighton after the ride then a mate and I left the others to find their way home and we cycled the 120 ish miles back to Northampton on the Monday.

@gavroche I can understand why you might not want to bother doing it but, with a bit of planning, it's not too bad..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Years ago there used to be trains out of Brighton so you could get back to London with your bike.
Of course the real hard core brigade will do the return journey.
It's a fabulous day out though.
Never forget the panting voice being going up Ditching Beacon 'coming through' , or likewise someone jumping up and down on somebody's chest about half way up.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ditto did once never again.
Nice for a social outing, plenty of chat and atmosphere. Rubbish for actually cycling, for too many people with no idea how to ride in a group, and unless you're off at the crack of dawn, which looses all the social stuff, the time taken to get through the first 25 miles or so is frustrating.

I will add..... for logistics if anyone is tempted, taking your car down to Brighton the day before and parking it somewhere your can easily ride to from the finish and taking train home works quite well. Get yourself to start by train / bike on the sunday morning and then drive home after the ride.

Last edited:
I'd not be doing it from North Wales. Fair enough if you're in London - but you'll spend more time driving than cycling by a fair margin.

You could do Liverpool Chester Liverpool if you want a mass participation ride.

I am thinking of doing it next year and would like any advice on it. I will be coming from North Wales the night before and stay in Brighton for another night after the event.
I reckon it will take me about 5 hours to do it but , as I hate going any where near or in London, is the start close to the M25 or more towards the city?
I used to live in Worthing 40 years ago so I might also have a quick look there to see how much it has changed.
Any tips from any of you who has done it?
Bear in mind I am in my 70's now.

Last Winter I made my way from North Wales by train to London, then cycled to Worthing via a detour to Brighton. It wasn't for an organised event but my story may help as, like you, I am not a young cyclist: www.harlechjoe.wordpress.com

Top Bottom