Advice needed for newbie bike purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jrhoades

Regular
I'm new to cycling (and this forum) and would like a bike mainly for commuting to work, but also for occasional off road riding, (ie, along my local riverside, etc,). I'd like a reasonable build quality, and one that do well in winter weather also. I'm unsure as to whether suspension forks / seat would be better for me or not for my intended usage... Our roads and cycle paths are not in great shape.

I'm looking at a bewildering number of ladies hybrid bikes here, but seem to keep coming back to this Scott Sportster 55
http://www.rustyscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s18p596

can anyone tell me if they own one, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Can anyone also advise on good alternatives in a similar price range?

Thanks for any help or advice offered :-)

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
You could easily manage without suspension forks, some people dont like them, personally I do like them and theyre great for riding along trails. The Scott bike youre looking at is incredibly similar to my Giant Roam, same shifters, cassette, chain, similar suspension forks etc and I really like it. Suspension seat is unnecessary though IMHO and tires your legs because youre bouncing around in and out of your optimum bike fit while trying to pedal.

Id guess the Scott would be a great bike for you especially as you have comfort in mind :smile: If youre looking around for discounts, the Giant Roam and Specialized Crosstrail are very similar bikes too.

OP
OP
Jrhoades

Jrhoades

Regular
Many thanks to both of you for your feedback, it helps to know it seems a good price for the spec of the bike. I had looked at the Roam and Ariel also, but was a little unsure as to the curved shape of the frame of the Ariel, would that result in a weaker frame?

The Scott is stocked at my local bike shop, so I'd be much re-assured by that fact they can measure it properly for me, set it up. and service it as I wouldn't know where to start :blush:. I think I'll also ask to try the Roam too, reading the forums here, it seems a popular choice.

Thanks again!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
The Crosstrail is a men's bike, the ladies version is called the Ariel - this is probably comparable to the Scott http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/ariel-disc-2012-womens-hybrid-bike-ec030714

That looks a good spec and price for the Scott - if you like it and it ticks your boxes, go for it :smile: Just be sure to get the right size
Oops, thanks Vickster I knew the womens Giant was also a Roam, didnt think to check the Crosstrail :smile: I mainly posted to bump the thread as noone had replied ;)

OP
OP
Jrhoades

Jrhoades

Regular
Oops, thanks Vickster I knew the womens Giant was also a Roam, didnt think to check the Crosstrail :smile: I mainly posted to bump the thread as noone had replied ;)

And much appreciated your replies are too :smile: The terminology is a bit bewildering at first for a newbie, but I'm learning fast

vickster

Legendary Member
Many thanks to both of you for your feedback, it helps to know it seems a good price for the spec of the bike. I had looked at the Roam and Ariel also, but was a little unsure as to the curved shape of the frame of the Ariel, would that result in a weaker frame?

The Scott is stocked at my local bike shop, so I'd be much re-assured by that fact they can measure it properly for me, set it up. and service it as I wouldn't know where to start :blush:. I think I'll also ask to try the Roam too, reading the forums here, it seems a popular choice.

Thanks again!

Lifetime warranty on Specialized frames so no worries on that front. However, there is really no substitute for buying a bike from your local stores, getting to build a relationship so you can get good advice and indeed, deals going forwards
Happy shopping and riding whatever you choose :bicycle: - the bikes will all be pretty similar, so likely aesthetics and the retailer will seal the deal

Top Bottom