Advice needed on LEJOG route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
The A6 up through the lakes and Shap really isn't too bad - Shap is a tough long hill, but i didn't find the road too busy and there are plenty of crawler lanes for you to be overtaken. I would go this way if i did it again.
As for A roads versus canal paths etc. I agree with most of the others - most of the a roads are generally ok, but do check beforehand, some can be terrible. The "local" advice you get from these forums will be invaluable.
I suppose it depends if the OP wants to go through the Lake District or not. The Shap route is scenic, but not quite as scenic as going through the middle!

OP
OP
J

Jimbob312

Regular
Thanks guys will spend a bit of time looking at day 4 and early day 5 again.
Stayed in shap when I did Tim woodcocks off road c2c route this summer and A6 looked busy.....tempted by the lake district myself.
May plan on it but if too tired take the easier shap route up the A6.
Friend of mine has just decided to join me today as well so obviously route decisions down to him as well.
Exciting stuff :-)

OP
OP
J

Jimbob312

Regular
Satnavsaysstraighton...
Any suggestions for a good overnight spot a bit south of you then?
Kind of thinking around tattenhall/Beeston area maybe?
Thanks,
Jim

HorTs

Über Member
I loved the Shap road when I went. I didn't even realise I'd done it, I kept waiting for a big hill but it never came (obviously fitter by then).

OP
OP
J

Jimbob312

Regular
Thanks for all the advice guys (and gals)
Have tweaked my routes and booked accommodation so just need to stay fit now.......

Top Bottom