Advice needed on suspension seatposts on a hardtail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I mainly ride backroads and bridleways and the 29 Rockhopper is fine for most of the time.

We have in this area a number of bridleways that get used by tractors and when the ground is soft they emboss a nice deep imprint of their tread.

The upshot is riding these when the ground is hard on a hard tail is somewhat like sitting on a jackhammer and is doing my spine and neck no good at all. I do try and get out of the saddle as much as I can on these but some are a couple of miles long.

So I was thinking along the lines of getting a suspension seatpost and wondered if anyone has any experiences of using one, good/bad idea? if good any make recommendations?

thanks

Bob

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
for the style of riding you describe... i suspect a suspension seatpost will be a big disappointment.

A bad idea IME but my suspension seat post is limited to the lower price end. IMC the post was changing my seating height to often and puting undue pressure on my knees. Theres probably also weight implications at the lower end. IMO if budget is a restriction you are better to stand up and use your arms and legs as suspension.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't bother. I have a fully rigid MTB and don't have any issues off road. Thing is, if you are pedalling over these 'bumps' you'll be supporting body weight through the legs, so shouldn't have too much weight on the saddle. If your position is rather 'upright' then this will put more pressure through your ar$e.

Cyclist33

Don't bother. I have a fully rigid MTB and don't have any issues off road. Thing is, if you are pedalling over these 'bumps' you'll be supporting body weight through the legs, so shouldn't have too much weight on the saddle. If your position is rather 'upright' then this will put more pressure through your ar$e.
Scientifically put as always!!

Top Bottom