Advice needed please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Just a word of warning, nannette. This is not from personal experience, but from reading lots of threads on here.

Don't get your new bike from Halfords. They do sell some good bikes (and some not so good) but they have a very poor reputation for setting them up properly (i.e. making sure everything is put together correctly and working). So don't buy from them unless you know something about bikes, or have a friend who can help you check over a bike once you have it.

Enjoy cycling!

vickster

Legendary Member
I am 5'10, 32" inside leg and one of my bikes is a 19" and the other a 20" - I would think that would be massive for someone who is 5"4, unlikely to have a 30.5" inside leg? I would think a 17" would be better. To put into context, a friend of mine who is 5'3 though my 19" frame looked massive! Best go to a bike shop and sit on a few to confirm size

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm 5'6 with a 31.5 inside leg and I have a 19" frame but I wouldn't have bought that bike when I first started out - it would have felt too stretched out - my first one had a 17" frame and was more sit up in style though not totally sit up.

Don't get caught up in 'frame sizes'. 'Frame size' is just the length of the seat tube and is largely irrelevant. Establish that 'stand-over' is adequate on a particular bike then pay close attention to the 'reach'.

OP
OP
N

NannetteMTGB

Spinney said:
Just a word of warning, nannette. This is not from personal experience, but from reading lots of threads on here.

Don't get your new bike from Halfords.
Enjoy cycling!

I've seen this a lot too, thinking of going to a bike shop in horwich called green machine - it was recommended by a friend who cycles a lot

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans have a few bikes on the shop floor and they allow proper test rides, might be worth visiting your local store if they have one as well as a LBS :biggrin:

OP
OP
N

NannetteMTGB

vickster said:
Evans have a few bikes on the shop floor and they allow proper test rides, might be worth visiting your local store if they have one as well as a LBS :biggrin:

There's an Evans not too far from me so I might try them 1st:smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes but its a good place to go to take a test ride of a bike - I'm not sure what percentage of LBS's allow you but somehow its less impersonal in there. You don't have to actually purchase the bike from there - unless you end up wanting one of their bikes.

jimboalee

I'll build up the Apollo ladies bike I was speaking about.

Come and get it and bring a whole Stilton Cheese with you.

Test ride it for two or three months, and if you're happy, keep it.
If you are unhappy, bring it back....;)

OP
OP
N

NannetteMTGB

jimboalee said:
I'll build up the Apollo ladies bike I was speaking about.

Come and get it and bring a whole Stilton Cheese with you.

Test ride it for two or three months, and if you're happy, keep it.
If you are unhappy, bring it back....:smile:

I'm guessing you like stilton cheese?!;)

Where would I get it from?

summerdays said:
Yes but its a good place to go to take a test ride of a bike - I'm not sure what percentage of LBS's allow you but somehow its less impersonal in there. You don't have to actually purchase the bike from there - unless you end up wanting one of their bikes.

I've never heard of a bike shop which doesn't encourage test rides.

Top Bottom