advice on a carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
A lot of Carltons were. their chrome plating process exceeded MOD standards. Some were finished in a transparent lacquer called acrilichrome, the chrome showing under the paint, if you see what I mean. A bit like a quality street sweet wrapper. Carltons look really good in just a chrome finish with Carleton decals on. I think some were originally sold just as a plain chromed Carlton. Have a look here: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bikes/carlton-flyer-johnson-rb.html and here: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/carltonlowry.html

You can't beat a bit of chrome...

P9260206.jpg

Attachments

• P9260206.jpg
    P9260206.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 256

porteous

Veteran
Make sure you show us what it's like when you finish! ^_^

OP
OP
joehunter

joehunter

Make sure you show us what it's like when you finish! ^_^
I will looking forward to the task of doing it up i'm hoping that the chrome is not pitted but we can be wishful :angel: have stripped it down and ready to take time in restoring it my local bike shop are against me strange wont get me the ball bearings and tell me its not compalatable with new bits but we will get there by hook or by ebay lol. the model of the bike would be a great help but not really that important I think its a continual type every step will be photographed

OP
OP
joehunter

joehunter

have now taken the paint of the bike down to the chrome which looks good whilst doing the bottom bracket came across another number it read 4348911 and below that was an x :wacko:

porteous

Veteran
Lots of older shops on-line do old bike bits. There are literally millions of NOS spares lying about. Remember, in the 30s, 40s and 50s few people had cars and half the world rode British cycles. You can get an idea of which chainsets etc were used and either wait until you find similar ones or fit what you like the look of. It's easier not to bother with trying to fit modern parts and you really don't need more than 5 or 10 gears. I upgraded my 1958 Rudge Pathfinder from cottered to cotterless cranks and got a really nice NOS alloy chainset that looks just fine. ( If I still had the original bike I am sure I would have upgraded it). I also have a 1961 Pathfinder with original cyclo 8 speed fitted and the frame unrestored. Both are lovely to ride and neither, IMHO, in any way infringe the designers intent. In any case, if you keep the frame as it is you can gradually restore it as it would have looked the day it came out of the factory, while enjoying riding it on compatible parts in the meantime. I seem to have wandered off a bit, but I am sure you get the idea.

Unhelpful bike shop? Take your time, ask advice from those that know and NEVER use that LBS again. Simples!

Where are you? folk on here probably know a useful bits shop near you.

BB number. There you have me. Anybody else know? Left rear dropout was common, but some were numbered on the top of the seat tube or under the BB. Older and wiser heads may be of help here. At least it gives you two numbers to keep safe so you can always identify it.

OP
OP
joehunter

joehunter

on another forum that I was reading a guy is trying to id his bike a raleigh it has both the numbers mine has including the X suffix number on the bb
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-90704.html
reckons his is a grand prix

OP
OP
joehunter

joehunter

old friend has told me his pal has old raleigh bikes in his alottment so hopefully many parts to be got and shared:thumbsup:

OP
OP
joehunter

joehunter

think from what I've read on the net my frame was caught up in the change over from Rayleigh to Carlton or vis versa might explain the 2 numbers but the only problem I have is the actual model id as this the stoppage of putting stickers on don't want to present it as something it may not be if you understand what I am thinking

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
think from what I've read on the net my frame was caught up in the change over from Rayleigh to Carlton or vis versa might explain the 2 numbers but the only problem I have is the actual model id as this the stoppage of putting stickers on don't want to present it as something it may not be if you understand what I am thinking
If the head badge is original and has not been removed in any way, then this would indicate the frame is no younger than 1977 or thereabouts. As has been stated already, 68-72 Carlton just used simple figures, there were some exceptions, the W prefix was used from about 1973... Up until this point Carlton were to a certain degree operating autonomously and therefore relatively free from interference from the boffins at Raleigh....

Look forward to seeing how your build progresses. As for the model - Im still thinking!

EYE-TYE-MAD

Hi all saved a Carlton out of the back shed of my father in law, it has no markings only a serial number 104999 the web only show dates to lettered serials so any info would be good:thumbsup:
I had a couple of Carlton bikes, mid 60s, one had the wrap round seat stays like yours. Carlton were soaked up by Raleigh, about 1960. Althouhg they continued to make their top end stuff at the factory in Worksop most of their bread & butter frames were in actual fact, but for a coat of paint & a set of transfers, a humble Raleigh. To be honest going by the the standard lugs on your frame, I would say it's likely to be a Raleigh made Carlton. I think they shut up shop for good around 1980. The man for everything Carlton is; Dave Marsh, The Universal Cycle Center, Maltby, near Rotherham. His shops worth a visit too, just like they used to be.

Turnpike

Regular
How is your build coming on? The frame you have is a Cobra built between 1967 and 1972. It would originally have had a red and black achrillichrome paint scheme, Simplex gears, and Weinmann 750 centre pull brakes. I've got two of these, one completely original (1971), and one now with bare chrome finish (1967). Made of Truwel tubing, but still not too heavy. For a short time around 1973, the Cobra had Carlton imichrome decals, then the 3rd and final variant had Grand Prix style transfers. A blue and black colour scheme was also available. My 1967 has two serial numbers stamped under the BB - one prefixed with an "X", and the 1971 has the standard six characters stamped on the rear left hand dropout.

Top Bottom