Advice on a first bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Futures

Hi there guys, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks here. Seems like a friendly place! I thought I'd introduce myself and ask for some help.

The last time I rode a bike was probably about 10 years ago (I'm 22 now) and I've decided I now want to get my first proper bike. My last one was a cheapish mountain bike that I outgrew very quickly, but I rode the heavy thing with squeaky brakes on the roads. I therefore don't think I've ever had the proper cycling experience and I'm eager to start again.

I've read quite a few threads about what kind of bike to get, but I'm still unsure so I'd like some advice!

I understand I'll have to be getting a lot of equipment (shoes, lights, helmet, clothes, a rack, a bag etc.) which will bump up the price a bit, so I'm hoping to spend about £400 on a bike itself, though I could probably just about stretch to £500 if it would make a big difference for me.

Now, I don't want to buy a hybrid with flat handlebars then 2 months later when I decide I love cycling, have to buy a more expensive, better bike with drop handlebars which is faster. I'd rather take the plunge now, spend a bit more and get something that will last.

I'm hoping to commute to work, which is only 3.5 miles. Comfort will be important to me, as I'm hoping to not just do the short trip to work but day trips as I build my fitness too for leisure. I'd ideally need some way of carrying a bag, with space to fit food etc. and space for a pump and tools. Would a pannier rack be overkill here?

I want something fast, light and fun to ride on roads. This is probably the most important part, as I want to enjoy my new bike and start to love cycling. I just don't want a stripped down road bike that's uncomfortable and built for nothing but speed. I don't see myself carrying a lot of stuff around, but I guess it would be useful if the need ever arose for it.

It seems what I want is somewhere in between a road bike and a tourer. I've heard people sing the praises of tourers. Is there anything that would fit my criteria? A road bike that is comfy and can hold a bit of weight, or a light tourer that can pick up some speed?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for asking the same question that seems to be posted over and over on this forum: which bike should I get?

edit: P.S. Drop handlebars are a must!

An Audax bike would probably be your best bet ?

Simon

wafflycat

You can get an entry level road bike for that sort of money.

On my road bike I have a seatpost mounted rear rack - this one

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_QR_Beam_RX_Rear_Rack/5300003208/

and I have this rack pack on it:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_RX_Trunk_Bag_EX/5360041530/.

It's that bit bigger than a wedgie so I can carry that bit extra when out on the bike all day

I've found the above to be very useful to extend the range of my road bike, so if I don't want to use the tourer on a full day ride, I'm sorted.

But, even though the above is useful, it's not as useful as a proper rack/panniers in terms of load carrying.

On my tourer, as well as having full-size panniers to use when needed, I have this:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/:D/5360029053/

and it's *perfect* for a full day out as I can carry spares, batteries, food, drink, waterproof, phone, camera, money, pump, yadda, yadda

As for what bike? Well, one that fits you, that you're comfortable on. It matters naught what others think of it in that sense. My advice - visit lots of bike shops, see what is out there, try out a few (or lots) and don't buy the first bike you see.

You've mentioned the accessories - lights - are you riding on lit or unlit roads - it makes a difference to the lights you may choose (and price) in terms of lights to be seen by or lights to see by too.

jimboalee

For commuting 3.5 miles to work, get a secondhand old heap that no-one will want to steal. Remember you will be riding this one in the rain etc.

Concentrate most of your cash on the evening and weekend bike. Keep it clean and well maintained.

andyfromotley

allez or trek is the most well trodden route for that money, including myself. I would go for drop bars if i was you. 3.5 miles isn't really long enough for a riding position to become too uncomfortable. Most entry level road bikes will take racks. Panniers probably will be overkill. Just pop into as many local bike shops as you can and tell em what you told us. (i have always found Edinburgh cycle co-op to be really helpful).

Final tip - set yourself a date and say i WILL buy a bike on this day as a deadline tends to focus the mind if your like me!

Enjoy

OP
OP
F

Futures

Thanks for all your replies guys! I've been thinking for ages and keep changing my mind o. What bike I want really, I read another thread which was similar and it seems I'm not alone in being indecisive!

Andyfromotley, is the Edinburgh cycles you find useful in Leeds? I was planning on travelling there when I next get a chance (I live in Leeds) and getting them to suggest me something. Either that or woodrup cycles which is also close. Does anyone have any experience with either of these places?

I'm thinking an entry level road bike then, which has the potential to fit panniers and is comfortable; I guess I need to sit on one to find out if it suits me. I still wouldn't know
which would be the best bike for me, the gearing etc. But I guess I can trust the sales staff in a bike shop, right?

Top Bottom