Advice on a new bike please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SonofSid

Right, so some scrote stole my bike (as well as my kids - bikes that is) but, after the red mist had died down, decided this might be good if the insurance pays up and I can use the Ride to Work Scheme for a new one.

Doing LEJOG in the Summer so was going to need another bike anyway. I'd appreciate thoughts as I'm not up on the specs.
What I want is a bike that can do the miles, give me some comfort, carry panniers (lighly packed - rest in support car) as well as being appropriate as my commute bike. Our route for LEJOG and my commute is roads, tow paths and cycle routes, so ther's some slightly rough surfaces.

Advice from local shop is the Kona (?) Dew Drop - a hybrid with drop bars to allow regular changes in position and with kevlar (?) tyres to minimise puntures. I think they said £650 which is right at the top of what I can afford IF I can use the ride scheme.

Any thoughts about alternatives greatly appreciated. Also about the disk brakes. Know they're good but can you fix them yourself at the top of a hill in the middle of Scotland?

Cheers,
Paul

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hi Sonofsid, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the theft, but at least the opportunity has arrived to get re-equipped.

Have a look at this and this. They both come with good reputations and a re well specced for the cash.

Best of luck.

Top Bottom