Advice on a new hybrid bike for and the wife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sydney2002

Hi folks,
Just joined and looking for some advice on a Hybrid bike for me and the good lady wife. Spotted the below two bikes, but just looking for some guidance.
Are they good prices? Can they be found elsewhere for better price ?
Alternative bike better for say a few more £'s ?

Any help or tips appreciated.

Is this a good bike and price ?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec016396

Or would this be better than the above:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165499

I am looking for a hybrid bike for me and the wife, I am 6'1" tall, so thinking a 19" or 20" bike will do for me, and my wife is 5'1" tall, so maybe a circus midgets bike for her haha....Dont really want to to spending more than £300 - £350 to be honest.

cheers folks.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Both are respectable bikes.

I note that you mention 'hybrid'. Most hybrids are designed with road use in mind and they have a rigid fork. Both your bikes have front suspension which is not ideal for roads (add weights and bounces too much thus sapping energy)

I would steer clear of front suspension unless you envisage off roading - meaning further than a canal towpath.

gbb

Legendary Member
In purely simple terms, they're completely different kinds of bike.
The GT is a hybrid, 700 wheels, typically good for town, tracks and slightly speedier riding with its 35mm tyres.
The Carrera Vulcan is a MTB, wide tyres, smaller wheels, smaller chainset...you'll generally be riding slower on it. Wider tyres...more drag. It'll cope much better on tracks and the rough, but not so good on tarmac. Dont get me wrong, it'll be fine on tarmac, but not as nippy as the GT.

Both good bikes IMO, its getting the right one for your needs. Price wise, no idea if they're good deals

OP
OP
S

sydney2002

Thanks for the feedback so quickly folks. It will be mainly road/paths we will be riding on, and tow paths also as we live at the side of river and canals. Will note the "dont get a suspension bike" as want to keep the bike as light as possible for us both and as nippy as possible, so that is a good tip thanks.

OP
OP
S

sydney2002

punkypossum said:
If you want a hybrid, and you are happy to go to halfords, have you looked at the carrera subways? They do a wsd as well, which might be good for the vertically challenged wife :biggrin:

Yes I saw a good priced one on hotukdeals.com but the deal has now expired from the £199 it was offered at, and its now available for £260 this is the bike http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_551203_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Also available in WIFE version to for the same cost.

This is Halfords, it will be on sale again soon - they keep doing this...

MarkF

Guru
If you can still find one, these are fantastic value. I bought my good lady one 2 years ago and 2 pals subsequently bought them too, great decent starter bikes with guards and rack.

Top Bottom