Advice on bike choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skyblues87

Hello,

I'm looking for a bike that will be suitable for riding forest trails and taking part in a Duathlon in the future. The forest trails are mainly gravel and mud.

I really didn't want to buy two dedicated bikes as funds and space are limited.

I visited a local bike shop who recommend the Cannondale CAADX 105. I also had a look online and like the look of Orro Terra Gravel Disc 105 Racing Sport 2018.

Any advice would greatly appreciated and valued. Thanks for any help.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep some sort of CX. Testride, choose the one you like most

You can put thinner slicker tyres on if road riding (it won't be a true roadbike though)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Orro looks good and with the supplied 28c rubber will be near enough a road bike, change them to something grippier and you can tackle trails etc. The Cannondale is more a dedicated CX bike.
I recall someone on here ordering a Orro and they kept putting the delivery date back, turned into a bit of a 'orro' story.
If you can try to throw a leg over them. Good review here:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/orro-terra-gravel-road-review-50512/
The other point worth mentioning is that the Cannondale has the dreaded BB30 bottom bracket, steer clear.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
The other point worth mentioning is that the Cannondale has the dreaded BB30 bottom bracket, steer clear.
I never thought I'd ever defend BB30 in any way shape or form, and TBH I'm still not really defending it as I would never advise anyone to go with BB30 in an ideal world, however as others have gone to similar BB set ups I suspect they're all much of a muchness nowadays aren't they?

The Orro appears to use THESE press fit bearing cups, which in friends experience certainly aren't any better than BB30.

To the OP, go for the one that fits best, rides nicest and gives the widest smile.

Then if the BB does act up one of THESE will sort it easily.

FYI, I fitted one to my CAAD10, (back when BB30 was launched and it really was a dog of a system), and it's never missed a beat since :okay:

Top Bottom