Advice on building myself up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedFeend

I have recently got my new bike and started pedalling again after a great many years.
What is the best way to rebuild my fitness from a very poor base level. An accident resulted in a broken back 23 years ago and at last the medics have said I can cycle - my old drop handlebars. So, I am unfit, overweight and the wrong side of 50.
It is flat here I live but this does mean there is always a back wind.

Assuming I try to gradually increase my distance. What is the best way to ride? My goals are to get fitter, lose weight and enjoy being out and about.

Do I try to keep a steady speed all the way?
Do I go at a steady pace and then rest for a few minutes and repeat.
Do I alternate between spinning and pushing myself.
Or, do I just amble along, enjoy the scenery and the bike?

Advice greatfully received.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
For starters I'd just get out 2 or 3 times a week for a few months - this will help you make a start on cycling becoming part of your life.

Just as important is to get used to cycling again, using the bike and adjusting to different (busier) road conditions than you may have been used to.

When you have a few months under your belt you can start thinking about whether to focus on distance or speed or hours in the saddle, whatever.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I started cycling to lose weight, started at around 17 stone last November and am now down to 14st 6lb. I have done no dieting at all, in fact I am probably eating more. I just get on the bike and enjoy myself and have built my mileage up to over 200 miles a week - I do commute to work though which really helps.

Build yourself up to decent distances (30 miles plus) watch what you eat and ambling along will see you lose weight, fitness will come with the mileage.

Most importantly do what you enjoy, the more you enjoy it the more you will do

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Ditto the above two posts. Plenty of time later to worry about any sort of speed/interval type of work. Hours in the saddle at a comfortable pace for at least two or three months until your body gets used to it again. If you try and go off to fast before you are ready for it you will just get disheartened at how quickly you will fatigue.

Hopefully you will be amazed, as a few of us on here are, at how quickly you will start to feel a level of fitness building up and then you can gradually increase your mileage.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Enjoy being on two wheels and challenges will present themselves for you to aim for, then you can think about distances and/or speed.

You'll get better and faster and fitter quickly, without the pressure of 'training' at first then there'll be no stopping you!

Rural halfwit

as above.. little pootles that get further and further and you will be surprised how quick the fitness comes. I got back into cycling after a good long time and was pretty unfit and a blob pretty quickly the distance and fitness increased and blobness decreased. I still am a blob and unfit as I had to take a break due a small heart related issue. The medics are happy with my progress and am now back in the saddle. Stick with it mate I'm in the just as flat fenland area just the cross and headwinds are a pain as they never become a tale wind :smile:

Rural halfwit

good!! that's the ticket the main thing is to enjoy it!
It is good on here although they do talk funny, some people mention things called 'hills'? I have no idea what they are.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I poodled along and did nearly 4 miles in 30 mins. My neck has been hurting (an add on to my bad back) and was a bit wary of the wind on the way home. I wanted to feel like I could have done a bit more, rather than knackering myself out.
That gives a good idea of your fitness level and the advice I would give based on it is to continue enjoying your rides. Forget the technical training stuff for the time being and just get out whenever you can and increase your mileage whenever you are able to.:thumbsup:

One day we may introduce you to some hills: Link :whistle:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
As the others said: amble now, work out training routines later :smile:. You'll be surprised at how fit you can get, and how much weight you can lose, just by cycling at a relaxing pace.

Ern1e

Über Member
wrong side of 50 no such thing (well in my head I'am still around 18 or so) just take your time get out and enjoy, everything else will follow along in due coarse.

Top Bottom