Advice on buying please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Siobhan29

Hi
I have decided to buy a bike to get fit. It will be my first bike in 12 years.
I have received lots of advice from friends. The consensus seem to be to get a hybrid.
Until I build my confidence I will be sticking to roads & cycle paths. But hope to move up to bumpier terrain.
I have been to Halfords and they were not overly helpful. There range either seemed to be Apollo ( didn't read good reviews) or Pendelton bikes (out of my price range & ? paying for a name).
Went to my local bike shop. They recommended 3 bikes.
All Tiger cycles, no one seems to have heard of them.
Town & Country £140.
Traditional £159.95
City Sport £165.
A cycling friend advised the first two were very much just for going and getting your shopping with, they both have front baskets. He is a serious road cyclist.
The local shop also advised against buying second hand, stating you were buying someone else's problem.
I have a budget of around £200. Am I being naive with this budget?
I would appreciate any advice. I live in Tyne & Wear.
Thanks in advance.

vickster

Legendary Member
One of these would suit you and your budget ok I'd say

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...ra-crossfire-limited-edition-hybrid-bike-2014

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...ra-crossfire-limited-edition-hybrid-bike-2013

Nice colour schemes

Or without the suspension but with disc brakes, very good solid bike, a little over budget

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-hybrid-bike--medium-18

Or if you like a more girly style (and if you are small in stature, a WSD bike would probably fit better)

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/pendleton-brooke-hybrid-bike-18

I have never heard of Tiger cycles! I'd recommend pushing the budget a bit and getting a Carrera

There's always second hand but it can be a risky minefield

Cyclist33

I wouldn't go near the tigers... without coming across all brand snobby, I've never heard of them and I've window-shopped literally 1000s of bikes.

OP
OP
S

Siobhan29

Thanks Vickster.
I'm 5' 8' and not a girly girl.

I know nothing about bike maintenance. The disk brakes seem complicated in comparison with V brakes when I read a comparison between them. I'm very practical and willing to learn.

vickster

Legendary Member
You sound like me, except I'm taller :biggrin:

Disk brakes need less maintenance once they are working well. One thing with Halfords is their Carrera and Boardman bikes are decent, but their mechanics can be of *ahem* mixed ability, so depending on the vibe you get, you might want to get your local bike shop to check it over, or your cycling friend before he fits the basket for you ;)

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks Vickster.
I'm 5' 8' and not a girly girl.

I know nothing about bike maintenance. The disk brakes seem complicated in comparison with V brakes when I read a comparison between them. I'm very practical and willing to learn.
You sound like me, except I'm shorter!

If you have an Evans near you, they will let you test ride. I ride a Pinnacle hybrid very happily for 7-mile round trips either commuting or visiting elderly relatives. I would like a lighter one - mine is quite old and they are lighter these days. Pinnacle is Evan's "house" brand. I am now, after a few years cycling, thinking of getting a lighter hybrid with thinner tyres - partly because I have shoulder problems and find hauling the bike up the station stairs a bit hard work! Evans are like Halfords in that some of them are great and a few are not so good - I think Evans is generally better than Halfords though, as they are a dedicated bike shop. I seem to remember a thread on this forum saying that the Evans at Gateshead is terrible, I will try to find it for you.

There are sales on at the moment so you might get a bargain and be able to stay close to your budget. Remember that rack, mudguards, lights, locks and a little repair kit will all be extra (though some hybrids include mudguards).

Oh, and :welcome: to the forum!

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks.

Unfortunately cycling friend lives in London. Advice has been via Facebook.

Any opinion on this bike?

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-trailfinder?bct=browse/bicycles/commuter-hybrid-bikes

Think I'll be giving the basket a miss :thumbsup:
Hi again - I've heard good things about the Edinburgh Bicycle people though not been there myself (southerner). That is a cracking discount and it looks similar in type and weight to the hybrid I have.

My experience starting cycling after a long time not doing it - hills are hard on a bike that weight, to begin with, but not impossible and you improve quickly. I also have a rack and often carry a heavy briefcase or big box of shopping on the back. I'd say I was below-par on fitness when I started but by no means disastrous.

As I say I now crave a lighter hybrid but the price goes up as weight decreases. I do like the description on the Ed cycles website - it shows they really know their bikes. BTW I may be a lot older than you (50) so my advice might be coloured by age as well!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Doesn't look too bad for the price. Plenty of gears to get you up hills. Not particularly light but shouldn't bother you too much. I would say its a solid budget buy.
Secondhand can be rather fraught with problems if you don't know what you are looking at, but can turn up some real bargains. How about this, near you, smallish frame though. Hardly used.
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/110595911/ladies-carrera-crossfire-bike.html

OP
OP
S

Siobhan29

Thanks Ganymede.

My friend bought her bike there so recommended them. This was the only hybrid under £200. Am I being cheap with my budget?

I'm 36 and have an active job. Other than a weekly Pilates class my job is my only exercise. So my fitness is middleish.

I'm going to go and look in Edinburgh cycles tomorrow.

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks Ganymede.

My friend bought her bike there so recommended them. This was the only hybrid under £200. Am I being cheap with my budget?

I'm 36 and have an active job. Other than a weekly Pilates class my job is my only exercise. So my fitness is middleish.

I'm going to go and look in Edinburgh cycles tomorrow.
I think your fitness will be fine - sounds similar to mine when I started, if not a bit better. Your budget isn't big - but if that's what you can afford then fine! - and I think Cycleops above is right that it's a good bike for the price, and in the sale too.

Top Bottom