Advice on cycling in Burgundy / Champagne regions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little Sue

I'm planning on stopping for a couple of days somewhere in the Burgundy / Champagne regions (en-route from Calais to Grenoble). Has anyone cycled round there? Any advice on where would be the best place to stop for circular rides? Preferably with riding from a campsite - either road or mountain bike. It's a big area and I can't find much information on the 'web, apart from organised cycle holidays.

Any other information on maps / routes / campsites / places to eat etc much appreciated.

Domestique

Über Member
there is this website

http://www.la-bourgogne-a-velo.com/

I am sure you can you order a brochure somewhere on it.

ASC1951

Guru
Domestique said:
That's a great site, Domestique. Why don't we have more of them over here?

Not a cycling destination, Sue, but you might like to call in at Vezelay while you are there: we used to break journeys on our way back from caving in the Pyrenees.
One of Europe's great buildings in a fantastic setting, even if (as I now think) the Crusades were an outrage. http://www.burgundytoday.com/historic-places/abbeys-churches/basilique-ste-madeleine.htm

dragon72

Guru
I'm on the ferry right now coming back from a trip (flew to Marseille and rode back to Le Havre via the Alps, then Burgundy, then the rest).

Between Mâcon and Buxy, in the Saone-et-Loire department of Burgundy, there is a converted rail line that is nicely traffic-free for about 60kms or so. I used it a week or so ago and stayed at a good campsite in Cluny about 25kms north of Mâcon.

I'm not too keen on Voies Vertes (as they call their ex-rail-line bike paths) as they tend to be a bit flat and boring, plus the view is usually blocked somewhat by hedges, so you don't get to see so much of the countryside as you would do on a country lane.

Having said that, they're nicely free from cars and the (relative) flatness lets you cover ground quickly between towns, if you're more interested in towns than the country.

I also travelled across Champagne, from right to left, a couple of years ago and thought that the wine-y valleys were lovely, but the rolling agricultural part a bit same-y after a while.

Visit Epernay as it's a nice place (cheap campsite close to town centre and near a supermarket). When you're there, you absolutely must do a tour of the Mercier Champagne wine-cellars. You go on an underground train 80m below ground and go through wine storage tunnels that have (literally) kilometres of champagne bottles stacked at the sides. Pretty cool.

dragon72 said:
I'm not too keen on Voies Vertes (as they call their ex-rail-line bike paths) as they tend to be a bit flat and boring,

Au contraire! I'd rather flat and boring than our UK equivalent (muddy, boring and bottled).

Depends on how quickly you wish to get to Grenoble and where in the UK you're coming from. Troyes is nice, as is Colmar. Both have lovely Voies Vertes.

Top Bottom