Advice on getting a bike delivered....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Now the Consumer rights act 2015.

When we were a Raleigh 5 Star Dealer in the 70's we did a lot of the warranty work for the local area, I'm trying to think if we took in bikes sold by other shops.

Lovacott

Über Member
I wouldn’t worry, just get it delivered to your home. Assembly is minimal, just bars, seat and front wheel.
The important thing is to go though the packing list and check for any obvious defects.

Opening the box and taking picture is a good way to start.

Assembly is a two minute job because all they've done is compress the bike into a box by taking off the front wheel and pedals whilst turning the handlebars in line with the frame. It's not like you will be getting an AirFix model.

I had my Boardman built by Halfords because I didn't want to be in conflict with them about scratches or bad set up. I found it much easier to collect the built bike and do the fine tooth comb thing in front of them. If you do have the bike delivered in a box, take lots of timestamped photos just in case something goes wrong.

Chislenko

Veteran
Now the Consumer rights act 2015.

When we were a Raleigh 5 Star Dealer in the 70's we did a lot of the warranty work for the local area, I'm trying to think if we took in bikes sold by other shops.

Thanks for at least understanding the question I was asking.

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Hi all,

Bikes all sorted now! see last section.

But regarding what people are saying above : Treks website was showing the bike my wife wanted but at another store, nearly 2hrs 40mins drive away. I have really got to now my LBS so well recently after buying 2 bikes for myself and my eldest son. The service from them was just out of this world, they looked after us with a good price (kept the 2020 prices on the 2021 bikes and saved around £70-80 per bike) and we had a few extras on. They offered great advice, did proper measuring, had all sizes of bikes to try and communication was great.

I always bought my bikes previously from Halfords or Decathlon. Decathlon the service as not the best last 2 years, when i went in the staff had no clue on models or spec, and then the guy said - look, i do not work in this area, I am just covering - so not his fault, but then we went to 2 other decathlon stores and they were the same. Then Halfords - we had amazing service from 1 guy, and then he got put on the MOT desk the week after and they put the MOT staff on bikes ! and they admitted they have not worked on bikes before- The guy built my sons bikes and everything was loose, the brake cables were all over the place, and was just not good - so had to bring it home and adjust it myself.

But last 12 months our small bike store went bigger and opened up to a proper one and its been amazing.

Well today we went in to try an FX3 for my wife as they had a few in delivered, and she did not like the feel of it. She originally wanted a dual sport 2 ladies, and like myself she loves going on paths, and light trails etc.
Where we live - at the back of our house we have a lot of paths and routes we can go around for a 20min-1hr quick ride but the paths are not very good, i always have to put my suspension on when going on them - and my wife had a go on my sons Trek Marlin 5 around this area the other week and she loved the feel of the bike, but large was too big.

Well today she sat on a few bikes and fell in love with a medium marlin 5 and to be honest - we will be doing a lot of light trails and over fields and grass tracks etc with my boys when the weather is a little better - and the FX2 would not have been good for that - so the marlin 5 was in stock, she LOVES the black and gret and will pimp it up as she says with purple! - we collect next week!.....she is thrilled.

I am happy she has a bike she is happy with - for what she is using it for - this is a perfect bike.
We are also happy to be supporting out LBS too.

Thanks all

edit,

They swapped the saddle on the bike for my wife too for the ladies sports which she preferred, no extra charge!

Last edited:
Top Bottom