Advice on getting a bike delivered....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Midsrider

Hi all,

I have been after a few bikes for my wife now for a few weeks and totally understand the situation on getting them in to my LBS who is a Trek dealer and we bought 2 from them last month and 100% want to support them with all our bike purchases and services/spares etc.

Now the only issue is - the bikes my wife wants, they can not get in till August at the earliest, and then could be after that.

From Treks website I have seen that both bikes she wants are available from Wheelbase and they can get them delivered.

I have never had a bike delivered before - and its a 2hr 40mins drive from where its coming from, so if there is a problem - then it could be a hassle.
With warranty - I take it this would be with this store too....and not just my LBS which is 5 mins away !

What are your views and advice?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
95% of my bikes are delivered, mostly from the mainland. Warranty largely out the window for me as it would generally cost a fortune to return

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yes the warranty will be with the retailer that you get delivery from.

In the last few years I've bought 2 bikes from an LBS (One Trek, one Genesis) and 2 on the internet (both Giants, from Paul's bikes in Norfolk which is about 90 mins drive away). The online purchases usually come in a big cardboard box part assembled and largely set up (brakes, gears etc should be ready to go), you'll need to do the final assembly bits which is usually just straightening the bars, putting the front wheel on, maybe the saddle. It's all pretty straightforward.

I've had one warranty issue with an online purchase when a Tiagra brifter failed a few months in. It was easy to sort out under warranty, the dealer gave me the choice of returning the bike for him to put right (which I didn't really want to do given the packing faff etc, or the 3 hours driving and the X number of hours waiting around in Norfolk), or he would get the replacement brifter sent out for me to fit, and I elected for the latter. It wasn't a huge issue, well other than the bike being out of action while he waited for the part, about 10 days in all. I was quite unlucky I think, I've never before had an issue that needed to be put right under warranty, and chances are you won't have issues - There's always a possibility, but it's not that common and it's a bridge that's easily crossed if you ever come to it.

I believe in supporting the LBS wherever I can (and it is a really nice feeling to go in and pick up your brand new bike in person, ready to ride home), but if the one you want simply isn't there, don't be afraid of buying online.

Rusty Rocket

I’ve had 2 bikes delivered recently (kids bike at Xmas and a folder for me last month), both from a big retailer. The boxes they came in were ENORMOUS, so my only advice is make sure you can get a 3m x 1.5m box through your front door.
No issues so far with either of them, so not had to deal with warranty/returns.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get it delivered if your wife wants a bike otherwise you'll have a massive wait. There isn't much to do to pop a new bike together, wheels, pedals and straighten the bars.

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Thanks all.

We have spread the bike options more open - but the one she wants is still the one which they can't get till end of the year from our LBS.

We will keep hunting !

chris-suffolk

Bit of a curved ball, but if Trek have the bike, and your LBS is Trek dealer, could you not get it delivered there, even if you then have to come to an arrangement over price (assuming on-line is cheaper). Presumably they deal regularly with them, so should be straight forward enough. Or am I missing something here?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I thought that when I read it. Isn't there a bike ad I've seen that sends it to your local shop? Freewheeling or Freewheel or something similar.

vickster

Legendary Member
I thought that when I read it. Isn't there a bike ad I've seen that sends it to your local shop? Freewheeling or Freewheel or something similar.
Freewheel. Don’t think they sell Trek (mainly Ridgeback and Genesis I think)

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed, why not just get delivered and if wanting it checked over, get lbs to do.
Unfortunately if LBS can’t supply a bike, may just need to buy elsewhere

Chislenko

Veteran
Does bike warranty not work like car warranty, i.e. if you buy a Vauxhall say from dealer A you can still take it to dealer B / C for your warranty work.

If both these dealers are Trek agents does it not work the same whereby the repairing dealer does the warranty work then bills Trek?

Or is it totally different in the bike industry?

Lovacott

Über Member
Does bike warranty not work like car warranty, i.e. if you buy a Vauxhall say from dealer A you can still take it to dealer B / C for your warranty work.
If both these dealers are Trek agents does it not work the same whereby the repairing dealer does the warranty work then bills Trek?
Or is it totally different in the bike industry?
A dealer warranty is just a selling point. The fact is, warranty or not, you are covered by the sale of goods act for anything which becomes faulty due to substandard manufacture.

The common misconception with any two year warranty is that the supplier will fix anything which goes wrong within the specified warranty period.

WRONG.

The supplier is only liable for faults which can be proven to have originated in either the manufacturing process, supply chain or though deliberate product misrepresentation (Grenfell Tower and Kingspan, VW and emissions).

Top Bottom