Advice on which used endurance bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drkash

Hi all. Grateful for some advice again please. I'm looking at upgrading my Trek MADONE 2013 bike. This is what I currently have: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Trek/Madone-35-C-H2-Road-Bike-2013/1LH7

Looking for an endurance bike for comfort with hydraulic discs and better shifters (the Ultegra 6700 don't feel great on my Trek bike). When I bought this Trek 58cm it caused me a lot of back pain but after some great advice on here I managed to improve the fit by shortening and flipping the stem.

I would like something more modern in terms of spec and something that won't be dated in a few years. I tend to ride with friends 40-60km then once a year ride to a longer 150-200km ride. It only needs to be road surfaces as I have a hybrid flat bar for gravel and off road. I'm not really good with fixing bikes so need something with low maintenance ideally.

These are the few on my shortlist so far. Most are 56cm, my budget is ideally <£1500:

Trek Domane AL5 disc 2022
Aluminium frame, 105 groupset
£900 (RRP £1900)

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...portive-road-bike-2022-in-lithium-grey__12581

Given this is fairly new I'm hoping this would cause me hardly any issues to sort out initially, although the spec is not as good as the others

Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc 2017
Ultegra groupset
£900 (RRP £2700)

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cannondale/Synapse-SM-Ultegra-Disc-Road-Bike-2017/9GKA

?a bit old now

Giant Defy Advanced 1 Carbon 2018
Ultegra / 105
£1000 (RRP £1500)

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/bikes...nced-1-carbon-road-bike-2018-blackyellow__517

eBay delivery from a cycle shop as too far to travel

Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc 2019
Ultegra groupset
Upgraded with mavic ksyrium elite wheelset
£1300 (RRP £2700)

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cannondale/Synapse-Carbon-Disc-Ultegra-Road-Bike-2019/G3UH

Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 3 Disc Carbon 2023
105 groupset
£1500 (RRP £3000)

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...-3-disc-carbon-road-bike-2023-in-black__28186

Less than 1 year old and only ridden 600 miles so like new
eBay delivery as too far away

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 2016
Ultegra Di2
£1600 (RRP £3200)

https://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/...t-defy-advanced-pro-1-carbon-road-bike-p53843

Given this is now 8yrs old should I look for something newer or should the Di2 still work fine now? Not sure if I will find Di2 a big step up or a hassle to keep charged. Anything else to be concerned about with a bike this age?

Also it is a Large and I'm 6ft (184cm) so it could be slightly big like I found the Trek 58cm ?M/L would be better

Many thanks in advance for any help and suggestions

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Hi
For an "endurance" bike, why would you even consider an electronic shift system? What possible benefit could this bring? when you say "I would like something more modern in terms of spec and something that won't be dated in a few years" I would suggest that the more modern the quicker it will become outdated. And if Ultegra does not feel good then nothing will.
Do not bother going over a 105 set up, anything more expensive is simply well, more expensive.

OP
OP
D

drkash

Hi
For an "endurance" bike, why would you even consider an electronic shift system? What possible benefit could this bring? when you say "I would like something more modern in terms of spec and something that won't be dated in a few years" I would suggest that the more modern the quicker it will become outdated. And if Ultegra does not feel good then nothing will.
Do not bother going over a 105 set up, anything more expensive is simply well, more expensive.

Tbh I don't know what benefits Di2 would bring me, I've never used it but I've heard some people "upgrading" to this. I am essentially a novice here. My trek Madone was the first drop bar bike I have used and I can only assume the Ultegra feels a bit clunky as it's 10yrs old and the older 6700 10 speed which has poorer reviews than the newer versions and also probably the latest 105 R7000

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Ok, fair enough, firstly stop reading reviews! They are written to sell bikes. and if you have a Trek frame with Ultegra I would suggest stick with that. Electronic shifting is of no advantage for most people and would need charging. 10yrs old? with maintenance it will stay like new. Stop worrying about it and ride what you have... that is a very competent bike. (there are plenty on here who have inner tubes older than that^_^

TomDW

Giant Defy has a load of recent good reviews. My mate bought one last year that's great. Pricey but worth it in long run.

si_c

Guru
For the price of the 2023 Domane SL5 I'd jump on that quickly. 105 R7000 is an excellent groupset and the Domane is a very good bike. I have a 2018 Domane ALR which is a very comfortable bike for distance and is also my go to bike for pretty much everything albeit a rim braked version.

The AL5 is a good bike, and at that price a solid option but will inevitably be a little less refined - the Isospeed feature does seem to work well - and the wheels are a bit cheaper and heavier.

I'd probably skip both the Giant's, according to the giant website, the 2018 version has the universally derided Conduct braking system, it uses cheaper rim brake levers and a proprietary interface to run the brakes. It's pretty awful. Not sure about the value of the other bike, but it isn't actually full ultegra - it uses non-series versions of the brake levers and the whole lot is getting rather old now. I'd be uncomfortable spending that much money on old electronic shifting.

Both the Cannondale's look OK, but of the two I'd opt for the newer, especially with an upgraded wheelset - seems reasonable value.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Ok, fair enough, firstly stop reading reviews! They are written to sell bikes. and if you have a Trek frame with Ultegra I would suggest stick with that. Electronic shifting is of no advantage for most people and would need charging. 10yrs old? with maintenance it will stay like new. Stop worrying about it and ride what you have... that is a very competent bike. (there are plenty on here who have inner tubes older than that^_^
I agree, and I told the OP that in the other thread.
The Trek Madone 3.5 is an excellent bike, the 2023 Domane SL5 that @si_c mentions is also very good. I've had both the Madone 3.5 which was stolen ( you haven't got it have you @drkash?) which was replaced by the Domane, I wish I still had the Madone 3.5.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

@Drago has undercrackers a lot older than that.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Looking for an endurance bike for comfort with hydraulic discs and better shifters (the Ultegra 6700 don't feel great on my Trek bike).

[...] Not sure if I will find Di2 a big step up or a hassle to keep charged. Anything else to be concerned about with a bike this age?

I've never used electronic shifting so I'm not really in a position to comment, but plenty of people on here who do use it have commented how much they like it. So if it's general "niceness" you're after I suspect it may well deliver - at a cost of having to keep it charged.

Aside from that it's mainly a change from rim to disc brakes that you're looking for. Again I've never ridden a bike with discs so I can't comment.

Reading between the lines, there's not a huge amount wrong with your current bike, but you fancy something a bit nicer. Nothing at all wrong with that. I can identify with that.

However, if I was in your position I'd not be buying second hand, if what you're after is something nice, especially something nice involving tricksy electronics. I'd want the comeback of a retail purchase. And as, like me, you're not really into DIY bike mechanics, there's a big risk when buying second hand that it may need some work that you'll have to DIY. Not to mention that it may well be nicked.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What's your mechanic'ing like OP ? If you don't do any, then second hand may not be the best option. As for the Madone, when was the last time you changed the brake and, more importantly, gear cables. I've bought two second hand bikes in recent years, but they got all cables replaced and a significant amount of additional maintenance done, until they were 'right' !

si_c

Guru
I've never used electronic shifting so I'm not really in a position to comment, but plenty of people on here who do use it have commented how much they like it. So if it's general "niceness" you're after I suspect it may well deliver - at a cost of having to keep it charged.

Aside from that it's mainly a change from rim to disc brakes that you're looking for. Again I've never ridden a bike with discs so I can't comment.

Reading between the lines, there's not a huge amount wrong with your current bike, but you fancy something a bit nicer. Nothing at all wrong with that. I can identify with that.

However, if I was in your position I'd not be buying second hand, if what you're after is something nice, especially something nice involving tricksy electronics. I'd want the comeback of a retail purchase. And as, like me, you're not really into DIY bike mechanics, there's a big risk when buying second hand that it may need some work that you'll have to DIY. Not to mention that it may well be nicked.
There are a number of advantages to a more modern bike, especially for endurance riding, but most of these are due to increased tyre clearance. My 2018 Domane is a nice bike, but tops out at 25c tyres with mudguards - by contrast my disc braked bike fits mudguards comfortably above 32c. Tubeless ready wheels and tyres can improve this further if desired.

An endurance focussed disc braked bike (Cannondale Synapse / Trek Domane) should comfortably fit larger tyre sizes, which will only make them much more comfortable on longer rides. By contrast @drkash has a 2013 Madone, I'd be surprised if it was able to take tyres at or above 25c, and with the state of roads presently, that makes for a punishing ride.

OP
OP
D

drkash

For the price of the 2023 Domane SL5 I'd jump on that quickly. 105 R7000 is an excellent groupset and the Domane is a very good bike. I have a 2018 Domane ALR which is a very comfortable bike for distance and is also my go to bike for pretty much everything albeit a rim braked version.

The AL5 is a good bike, and at that price a solid option but will inevitably be a little less refined - the Isospeed feature does seem to work well - and the wheels are a bit cheaper and heavier.

I'd probably skip both the Giant's, according to the giant website, the 2018 version has the universally derided Conduct braking system, it uses cheaper rim brake levers and a proprietary interface to run the brakes. It's pretty awful. Not sure about the value of the other bike, but it isn't actually full ultegra - it uses non-series versions of the brake levers and the whole lot is getting rather old now. I'd be uncomfortable spending that much money on old electronic shifting.

Both the Cannondale's look OK, but of the two I'd opt for the newer, especially with an upgraded wheelset - seems reasonable value.

Many thanks for the useful and detailed responses. I didn't realise the difference with the Giants disc brakes.

I will now consider the SL5 and the 2019 Cannondale.

If I upgraded the wheels on the AL5 would that improve it be nearly on par with the 2019 Cannondale? Or is the Cannondale still better?

Last edited:
Top Bottom