Belt drive gravel/hybrid bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pezmm

Looking to get a new bike. Mostly for commuting, but also for a bit of recreation (tracks and paths rather than roads).

I like the look of a belt drive with Shimano Alfine gears, mostly for the easy maintenance. I have a reasonable hill in my commute (maybe 10%) so I think the 11 speed will be good.

Any recommendations? I've seen the Cube Editor and the Shand Leveret which both look good but can't see anywhere to buy so not sure if they're actually made anymore. Something around that budget is about right (£1.7-2.3k).

Any other suggestions in the UK?

Slick

Guru
Shand are class in my opinion and you would go a long way to better it.

https://shandcycles.com/shop/shand-leveret/

Slick

Guru
Yeah, I think it was only ever a limited edition only making 100 of them, but I could be wrong.

The wonderfully named "Stooshie" is almost double the budget with the preferred belt drive and Rohloff hub.

There is the Canondale Bad Boy 1 if you like something different as it has their leftie front fork.

OP
OP
P

pezmm

There is the Canondale Bad Boy 1 if you like something different as it has their leftie front fork.

That's weird! Never seen that before!

Are they decent? The left fork doesn't looks as strong as traditional... What are the advantages/disadvantages?

That's weird! Never seen that before!

Are they decent? The left fork doesn't looks as strong as traditional... What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Strength doesn’t seem to be an issue in any long term reviews of it. I’d say it would make a front puncture easier to deal with though you need to remove the front brake calliper from the frame if you want to remove the front wheel.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Belt drives and hub gears may sound appealing for year round commuting (and they are), they have their drawbacks.

They’re complicated and not many bike shops understand them. You need to be mechanically minded to work on them.

Due to their rarity, parts are not readily available and often require lengthy online orders.

Hub gears tend to have bigger gaps between the gears vs derailleurs, so you might feel you’re not in the optimum gear for the terrain.

Due to their rarity, parts tend to be dearer.

Just some thoughts.

OP
OP
P

pezmm

Thanks for the advice folks.

As far as maintenance goes, I know a couple of places locally who can service so covered there.

That Spot bike looks good but I don't fancy dealing with import charges so think thats out.

It looks like I could get a new Shand bike which is essentially the Leveret but with the fork from the Stooshie. Its a bit over budget - £2500
Other options are the Canyon Commuter 7 (£1750), the Bad Boy 1 (£2000), or Cube Editor (£1800).

Of these, any opinions?

Top Bottom