Choosing puncture resistant tyres on a new bike before buying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm about to purchase a new bike, a Gazelle Esprit belt. I want to ensure I get good puncture resistance, partly because a belt drive bike is more fuss to remove its rear wheel, mainly because I hate punctures and I've had excellent results from cheap Slime tubes which for some reason have a poor reputation on cycle forums. The Gazelle is fitted with 'Continental CityRide' tyres according to the brochure. Are these good tyres? Should I ask the shop to fit puncture-resistant tubes as well?

bluenotebob

Veteran
I've had excellent results from cheap Slime tubes which for some reason have a poor reputation on cycle forums

I've no idea why slime tubes have a poor reputation - sometimes I think (cynically) that a lot of cyclists like doing roadside punctures.

I've had slime tubes fitted on all my bikes since Jan 2017 - I've cycled nearly 40,000 miles since then and I've never had a puncture while out cycling.

Yes, yes, yes - ask your LBS to fit slime tubes.

OP
OP
T

This Wreckage

Regular
I've no idea why slime tubes have a poor reputation - sometimes I think (cynically) that a lot of cyclists like doing roadside punctures.

I've had slime tubes fitted on all my bikes since Jan 2017 - I've cycled nearly 40,000 miles since then and I've never had a puncture while out cycling.

Yes, yes, yes - ask your LBS to fit slime tubes.

Thanks for that. I think I will ask.

AndyRM

XOXO
The slime tubes have a bit of a rep because if they're not regularly used the slime can pool where it's been "sat". Usually frees up after a few spins in my experience (although I only used them because I'd been given a pair, don't really see the appeal myself). Also criticised for being heavy, but that's not really much of an issue unless you're in the TdF.

I'm about to purchase a new bike, a Gazelle Esprit belt. I want to ensure I get good puncture resistance, partly because a belt drive bike is more fuss to remove its rear wheel, mainly because I hate punctures and I've had excellent results from cheap Slime tubes which for some reason have a poor reputation on cycle forums. The Gazelle is fitted with 'Continental CityRide' tyres according to the brochure. Are these good tyres? Should I ask the shop to fit puncture-resistant tubes as well?

Never had a puncture with the older Conti city tyres in many thousands of kilometres. I've also used Marathon Plus for commuting on a variety of surfaces going to college and work where "I'm late because of a puncture" wasn't an option. I'd say when my last puncture on either was but I can't remember, It must be well over a decade.

My own experience of Slime is their main effect is to make the dealing with punctures on customers/donated bikes rather messy.

OP
OP
T

This Wreckage

Regular
I never considered them because I don't want slime gunging up things I don't want gunged up, and because I don't like relying on anything I'm not sure is reliable. Patches served me well for 55 years, I saw no reason to change.

As I replied elsewhere, I put them in my bike in June 2022 and I've not had a puncture since. Other people might have different results, of course.

OP
OP
T

This Wreckage

Regular
Never had a puncture with the older Conti city tyres in many thousands of kilometres. I've also used Marathon Plus for commuting on a variety of surfaces going to college and work where "I'm late because of a puncture" wasn't an option. I'd say when my last puncture on either was but I can't remember, It must be well over a decade.

My own experience of Slime is their main effect is to make the dealing with punctures on customers/donated bikes rather messy.

Fair enough. My own experience is of not having any punctures since I put them on in June 2022. I will have a chat with the shop I'm buying the bike from.

Top Bottom