Want a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
I'm at the mature end of the age scale.
I've cycled a lot over the years. Regular centuries, weeks cycle touring in UK and Europe were my regulars. Occasional cycle to and from work, 80 km round trips.
During COVID I defected to an electric bike. My faithful old Peugeot got snaffled by my son.

Anyway, looking at a last hurrah outing.
Either Atlantic to Med, in France or the Danube from Vienna to the Black Sea.
50 to 70 km per day, relatively flat.

So I need a bike, simple, touring, my back prefers upright pose, capacity for necessary kit.

Suggestions, brands, gear ratios and do on

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A good old fashioned triple geared tourer would be a start, or get one built up - look at Spa Cycles ! Or trawl ebay.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm at the mature end of the age scale.
I've cycled a lot over the years. Regular centuries, weeks cycle touring in UK and Europe were my regulars. Occasional cycle to and from work, 80 km round trips.
During COVID I defected to an electric bike. My faithful old Peugeot got snaffled by my son.

Anyway, looking at a last hurrah outing.
Either Atlantic to Med, in France or the Danube from Vienna to the Black Sea.
50 to 70 km per day, relatively flat.

So I need a bike, simple, touring, my back prefers upright pose, capacity for necessary kit.

Suggestions, brands, gear ratios and do on

The Fragrant MrsP and I did Vienna to Budapest this year on our Brompton bikes.

IMG_3235.jpeg

It’s very flat, and 90% traffic free.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nah, he doesn’t want a kiddie wheeler Mr Frog, he wants a proper tourer like the ones fossy posted. If you don’t want to spend mega bucks go on the Evilbay or Gumtree and hunt out good used Dawes Galaxy, no need to worry about gear ratios as you’ll have every one you could ever need, plus every mount. If you don’t like the drops easy enough to convert to flat bars.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Nah, he doesn’t want a kiddie wheeler Mr Frog, he wants a proper tourer like the ones fossy posted. If you don’t want to spend mega bucks go on the Evilbay or Gumtree and hunt out good used Dawes Galaxy, no need to worry about gear ratios as you’ll have every one you could ever need, plus every mount. If you don’t like the drops easy enough to convert to flat bars.

Thanks

Re bars, true.Hence the slack in the budget.
New brakes, tyres, saddle, bars and so on.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran

Thank you, looks tempting. Have connections with Harrogate too.

Might edge the budget.
But I get a new bike set up properly and ready to roll.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
£500, plus £200 to get it just right.

Expect to sell it or it will be in my will.

Cool, OK. So realistically you're looking at used mid-ish range offerings I guess. Thorn seem to be well regarded, plus SPA although I think there are mixed views on them / their customer service. You could probably squeak a used Genesis Tour de Fer for that if you bide your time, while there are lots of decent lower-end offerings too from Jamis, Fuji, Ridgeback...

Probably worth not getting to fixated on any one; just search regularly for them all (unless some can be ruled out for being unsuitable) and taking what comes along first..

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Thank you.

Looking at size.
What size are you and your bike?

I'm 5'8
My randonneur is 21 1/2 which is the minimum for me. 22 is better. They're lovely bikes. I've updated mine to 7 speed.

Attachments

• 20210706_195346.jpg
    20210706_195346.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210706_195405.jpg
    20210706_195405.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom