Advice on which used endurance bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

drkash

What's your mechanic'ing like OP ? If you don't do any, then second hand may not be the best option. As for the Madone, when was the last time you changed the brake and, more importantly, gear cables. I've bought two second hand bikes in recent years, but they got all cables replaced and a significant amount of additional maintenance done, until they were 'right' !

I'm not good with bike DIY. I take them to a local guy who does any repairs etc. Last year I had new brake and gear cables fitted and a new chain. The braking is still no way as good as my Whyte hybrids disc brakes and the ride is more uncomfortable. Often at least once a ride the chain comes off when changing gears at a time of when I go up a steep hill. I have had the chain rings removed but it's still the same, it may need a new cassette?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm not good with bike DIY. I take them to a local guy who does any repairs etc. Last year I had new brake and gear cables fitted and a new chain. The braking is still no way as good as my Whyte hybrids disc brakes and the ride is more uncomfortable. Often at least once a ride the chain comes off when changing gears at a time of when I go up a steep hill. I have had the chain rings removed but it's still the same, it may need a new cassette?

Probably the 'limit screw' on the front mech allowing it to 'overshift' dropping the chain

I think what @Dogtrousers wrote is spot on "Reading between the lines, there's not a huge amount wrong with your current bike, but you fancy something a bit nicer. Nothing at all wrong with that. I can identify with this"
I have a 2014 Giant Defy composite road bike and often dream about getting a new bike but then i think about the cost?Even the cheapest carbon bike is going to start at about £1,300 and a high end alloy not far behind.
I have rim bikes and have never had a problem stopping.I am not sure how much clearance i have on the bike but i'm happy with my 25mm tyres so it would be nice to get another bike but it's not essential.
If you compare a ten year old car with a brand new model there is a lot of difference but with a bike not so much so.

Hi
For an "endurance" bike, why would you even consider an electronic shift system? What possible benefit could this bring? when you say "I would like something more modern in terms of spec and something that won't be dated in a few years" I would suggest that the more modern the quicker it will become outdated. And if Ultegra does not feel good then nothing will.
Do not bother going over a 105 set up, anything more expensive is simply well, more expensive.

Have to disagree - I have bikes with tiagra, 105 and ultegra di2 - the di2 bike shifts much nicer - and requires less maintenance than the other 2 - the downside is the cost of replacement parts - paid £200 for a new di2 shifter last year.

OP
OP
D

drkash

Probably the 'limit screw' on the front mech allowing it to 'overshift' dropping the chain

Nah this has been changed a couple of times from a bike mechanic, as well as looking at the chain. In the end he felt it was probably the chain set that may need replacing as everything else was ok and checked a few times

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Please don't replace the chainset! The teeth on a chainring would have to be worn down to almost nothing to cause this! the overshifting problem CAN NOT be as a result of the chainset! It can ONLY be an adjustment issue. BTW, which shop company was the mechanic based in?

OP
OP
D

drkash

Please don't replace the chainset! The teeth on a chainring would have to be worn down to almost nothing to cause this! the overshifting problem CAN NOT be as a result of the chainset! It can ONLY be an adjustment issue. BTW, which shop company was the mechanic based in?

He wasn't based in a LBS. He works on bikes from home as a hobby.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nah this has been changed a couple of times from a bike mechanic, as well as looking at the chain. In the end he felt it was probably the chain set that may need replacing as everything else was ok and checked a few times

or chain and cassette?

OP
OP
D

drkash

It would happen maybe once every ride or other ride. It was always when in the big ring, and usually when I was just starting off going up a hill and at times when starting off and trying to drop to the small ring.

The chain was adjusted a few times and also a few chain links removed to ensure the chain wasn't too loose.

What else could cause this problem?

Top Bottom