Advice on getting abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillymate

Regular
Hi,

just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get myself and my bike abroad for cheap? Thinking France or Holland for a week or so...I live up in Preston so just wondering if anyone has any tips on when to book in order to keep travel costs down.
thanks

Not meaning to be a smartass, but a ferry to NL and either train or ferry to France. Or a plane.
If you do a search here you'll find more information about travelling with a bike.
The problem is that Covid has completely messed everything up. I believe at least one ferry from the UK no longer takes bikes.

I rode from NL to Ireland and back again (4 ferries) and booked a spot twice the night before by phone (NL/Hull) once at the terminal for the next day (Wales) and one the same day (Belfast). Not sure I'd take that approach now!^_^

Depending on your cycling style, given the uncertainty, it might be worthwhile looking at companies who do organised/supported self navigating tours. A bit more expensive, but a lot less stress and it's their job to deal with any Covid fallout.

Good luck!

Drive-tunnel-drive and then arrive. Used to be vouchers in the Daily Mail that you could save up and get a cheap tunnel return trip at dodgy hours for about £30, not sure if they still exist.

Or SleazyJet to Geneva, wait for bike at the oversize baggage desk, exit the airport, looks south and get the chamois creme out:boxing:

PS France for me = climbs, big long ones, NL is just the opposite.

snorri

Legendary Member
just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get myself and my bike abroad for cheap? Thinking France or Holland for a week or so...I live up in Preston so just wondering if anyone has any tips on when to book in order to keep travel costs down.thanks
Some points to ponder.....
Perhaps have a thought as to what you want to see and decide which country best fits the bill. If you have not been to either country before I would recommend NL, much more cycle friendly and no language problems.
I don't think there are big reductions for advance bookings on ferries, it can be cheaper to buy your ticket on the day of travel
I've never flown with a bike so can't advise, but as for ferries, there are not many options depending where you want to go.
If you decide on The Netherlands you could leave from Newcastle, Hull or Harwich, Newcastle would be the most convenient from Preston, around two hours in the train.
A week would be barely long enough to see much of anywhere by the time you deduct the days in transit between Preston and NL or FR.
Day travel on the ferry is cheaper than overnight travel, but day travel might leave you exhausted or with little or no time to get far from the ferry terminal on the day of arrival.
If you want to travel on the cheap I assume you would be camping, but is your bike fitted out for the load carrying that camping would entail?
Do it anyway!^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
Not meaning to be a smartass, but a ferry to NL and either train or ferry to France. Or a plane.
If you do a search here you'll find more information about travelling with a bike.
The problem is that Covid has completely messed everything up. I believe at least one ferry from the UK no longer takes bikes.

I rode from NL to Ireland and back again (4 ferries) and booked a spot twice the night before by phone (NL/Hull) once at the terminal for the next day (Wales) and one the same day (Belfast). Not sure I'd take that approach now!^_^

Depending on your cycling style, given the uncertainty, it might be worthwhile looking at companies who do organised/supported self navigating tours. A bit more expensive, but a lot less stress and it's their job to deal with any Covid fallout.

Good luck!
Stena aren't taking bicycles at present. Motor vehicles only, with freight taking priority.

mike chadwick

Astrobike
Brittany ferries are taking bike bookings was about to book a return ferry
to Santander until it asked for full payment on booking what happened to
the £40.00 deposit and pay the rest 8 weeks before travel. ?
May still book next year when we now where we are up to with covid and
Brexit

Brittany ferries are taking bike bookings was about to book a return ferry
to Santander until it asked for full payment on booking what happened to
the £40.00 deposit and pay the rest 8 weeks before travel. ?
May still book next year when we now where we are up to with covid and
Brexit

This is important; the rules will change somewhat after Jan 1st 2021; you'll need extra health insurance, at least six months left on your passport and if you want to drive, an international licence. You may also need proof that you are leaving at some point.

Info here: https://www.onlinevisa.com/news/post-brexit-travel-guide-europe-etias/

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Buy a Brompton ^_^

I did 👍

Top Bottom