Advice on getting back in the saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
My OH sold her MTB last year as it had not been used for ages. Got a right crap price too.

She did try to come road riding with me but I think the weight and chunky tyres (she didn't want slicks) got too much and put her off.

Now she is thinking about getting another one :biggrin: and I have suggested a hybrid, quite lightweight (so she can keep up with me :biggrin: NOT).

I want to try and encourage her as it is boring on my jack and it will help with weight loss/fitness. I was thinking of a surprise prezzie but don't want to spend loads in case it all goes t*ts up again.

Any suggestions?

I've found that pointing out that she's starting to catch up with me from time to time works for my fiancee

short rides, eg, to the local all you can eat restraunt on a sunday afternoon work well - negative carbs or something

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What about that halford's carrera or whatever it is that seems to be fairly well regarded for a budget bike? They are not much over £200 I think.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

User3143 said:
If she is thinking of getting another one why would you need to make it a surprise present? Next time she mentions it, say that the two of you will go down the LBS and have a look at some bikes.

Make a point of going out in the evening as well on your bike just for a ride-especially when it's nice weather, you never know maybe she'll get jealous.

That is a very good point Lee. I'm just daft like that :biggrin:

Yes I was thinking of tempting her with trips to a couple of country pubs at the weekend or now the light nights are here.

The local LBS do crap bikes for the money, imo. We do have a Leisure Lakes though. Perhaps I should put something in the 'wanted' section?

giantscr2.0

My wife was never taught to ride a bike as a child. Towards the end of last year she asked me if I would mind teaching her to ride a bike, like the true gentleman that I am....:blush:;) I said of course.... How stressful?? but hey ho!!
She has been very determined to ride and we have been out a few times but it doesn't matter how slow I ride she cannot keep up which I started to find very stressful but of course I would never say so.
She bought up the subject that I also seemed to be waiting for her and she didn't want to mess up my training and that she was going to ride alone.
So the solution we have now come up with is I do my long training ride on Saturday when she is at work and then comes out with me on Sunday for my recovery ride.. it seems to work well and we usually stop for lunch or I pack a picnic in a rucksack and stop by the canal or on the common somewhere. We both really enjoy the time riding now

dudi

I bought my wife the Claud Butler Urban 100... I got it brand new for about £170, it's a nice simple bike. I bought it in the middle of winter for a discount, with any luck I'll get her out on it when the weather is nice... no point forcing her onto it when the weather's crap... if she enjoys a perfect ride the first time she's more likely to go again i reckon!

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

[quote name='swee'pea99']Do you know anyone who might be able to lend her something half-decent for a few trial runs?[/quote]

Unfortunately not swee.

She is ok on a bike. We've done enough MTBing together, I think it's a confidence thing.

She seems to be leaning towards a Spesh Sirrus at the moment, but you know women ..... that could all change. Plus she likes bright colours :wacko:

Top Bottom