Advice on how to fix my pump please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
After finding myself stranded with a knackered pump recently, is it fixable?

It's the second pump (different models) to fall when needed this year for me, whereas previously I've had pumps for decades in similar service. It's only two years old.

Symptoms:
The pump delivers pressure, but then air comes out at the handle end when the pump is fully extended. You can hear and feel the leak.

My son has an identical pump, so I took both apart. Mine had a lot more crud inside and some corrosion on threads of the shaft, but the barrel seems fine as far as I can tell.

The internals of the working pump seemed exactly the same - O rings in the same places and looking OK on both pumps. More surprisingly, his pump still worked when I reassembled it :okay:

I greased up the o rings and other contact points, no difference.

I can't work out how to take the head apart. Is there a non return valve in there that's the issue perhaps?

It's a Topeak road morph.

Picture disassembled:

20220807_154552.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I don't think you can take the head apart ?
I had similar issues and made one good pump out of two

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You say there was a lot of crud inside. I don't know about you but my pumps used to sit on the frame, exposed to the elements, dirt, dust, road debris etc. and then when it's needed it doesn't work doesn't really surprise me. Mine might get no attention for a couple of years or so.

I now wrap mine in cling film. Works a treat and only yesterday I did need the pump. It was pristine when unwrapped.

Lookrider

I dont mean to sound rude on this as I guess you are aware... but others may not be

The " gromet" 2 in the above picture can be turned around d to fit either presta or shreader valves ...although this does not sound like your issue

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I dont mean to sound rude on this as I guess you are aware... but others may not be

The " gromet" 2 in the above picture can be turned around d to fit either presta or shreader valves ...although this does not sound like your issue

Yeah, that's not it. I've already taken that out and had a look behind, seems OK AFAICT

Top Bottom