Advice on my diet, stuck on a plateau

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've lost about 7 kilos in the last couple of months, some due to muscle loss as I haven't been cycling and lots due to fat loss as we've been eating only small pre-prepared supermarket meals. Lockdown stress followed by neighbour stress then the move into temporary accommodation here in Scotland, selling the house and sorting out a thousand things I haven't the will to sort, depression, boredom, retirement regrets, the list is endless. It all contributes.

So my conclusion is that people who gain weight must be settled and contented.
Not at all, people's reactions to stress in how they eat are incredibly variable. Some like you will not eat (as much), while others will overeat / comfort eat

Drago

Legendary Member
When I'm stressed I like to take my angst out on Brother iron and Sister steel, so tend to add a bit.

Gazjacko

I've lost about 7 kilos in the last couple of months, some due to muscle loss as I haven't been cycling and lots due to fat loss as we've been eating only small pre-prepared supermarket meals. Lockdown stress followed by neighbour stress then the move into temporary accommodation here in Scotland, selling the house and sorting out a thousand things I haven't the will to sort, depression, boredom, retirement regrets, the list is endless. It all contributes.

So my conclusion is that people who gain weight must be settled and contented.
Agreed, the ‘D’ plan diet (divorce) worked wonders for me!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Lance Armstrong changed his body shape thanks to cancer. He was muscular all over but lost all the bulk with his sickness. Once he had recovered he was able to rebuild his cycling muscles without the bulk and weight of the upper body.

So there's hope for me.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Keep in mind that he was a triathlete before he was a pro cyclister, and also only has juan pelota

+ His training and supplementation changed

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Might be worth trying to track your calories in and out with something like MyFitnessPal, and focus on getting the right mix of macros for weight loss. Should address your concerns about sugar intake. Has worked for me, just lost nearly 2 stones in 2-3 months.

I've lost about 20lbs since June in prep for a Pyrenees kinda RAID trip that didnt happen thanks to lockdown, anyway what I did to lose the weight was use the WFH to do 1 hr per weekend on the bike, speed not important and then another 5 hours+ over the weekend usual with one very fast hard ride and the difference made up as i feel.

The key change for me has been diet, i'm not a breakfast person anyway so just coffee until 11-12 when I have my "one meal of the day" fresh cooked by me, no restrictions on what it is but generally a good mix each day so not burgers and pizza, pasta etc everyday but some days, this week has been fresh pasta with a sauce, pork loin udon noodles, a 10oz steak and chips with mushrooms and beans.

I'm still drinking way too much beer however the one meal a day plus 3-4 litres of water and no snacks of any kind, I have had to add breakfast on Sat/Sun due to the longer rides and that would be 2 slices of wholemeal toast no butter, peanut butter and half a banana on top.

my weight now is 154lbs and holding, if the weather holds out i might see what it takes to go 150lbs before the end of the year when the festive fun begins, mind you with COB

Kryton521

Über Member
Stand up. Walk around. Cut down on sugars, cereal will have "added" sugar hidden in there. Yoghurt too. Before every meal, drink water, 250-500 ml.

If you're really struggling with your weight, which I don't think you are. Can highly recommend Noom

yo vanilla

It's been said often already but I'll say it one more time: it's the sugar. There's lots of contributing factors and details, for instance I find a lot of meat to be a culprit, or processed foods, or wheat, but what I believe it comes down to for most people is sugar. (at least in USA) there is SO MUCH sugar in everything it's crazy IMO. Liquid sugar definitely a big culprit.

If you'd like a compare, I'm also about 5'7", about 8% body fat, and in my 40's. Personally for my diet:

Breakfast: oat cereal, I look for things only with 10g sugar or less (near impossible). For me Natures Path Organic Pumpkin Seed & Flax
Lunch: veggie wrap with feta cheese and a little bit of chicken (one breast lasts me the work week)
Dinner: something low or no meat. Examples of late are fish, rice & lentil tacos, black bean soup, egg sandwich, pizza sometimes. Side of veggies always and sweet potatoes sometimes.
Snacks: during the day I have yogurt; I buy unsweetened yogurt, add a little honey, fruit, and cinnamon. I used to get a sweetened yogurt which had something like 22g sugar per serving! 3-4 granola snack bars thru the work day, again with 10g or less sugar. Nighttime snack is raw veggies and smoked salmon.
Drink: coffee in the morning, lots of green tea through the day, and water. On a rare occasion I'll have a small Gatorade after a soccer session.

Lastly, when I started cutting back sugar and went more plant based vs meat based, my energy levels shot up quite a bit!

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’ve got myself under 15 stone , been 15-16 this past year or so. I’ve cut right back on bread , porridge for breakfast , lots and lots of fruit . Lunch is usually a chicken salad. Dinner is what ever I fancy. It seems to have worked. Cycling more but it’s defo the cut backs on bread stuffs.

wasn’t intentional it just happened btw !!

OP
OP
bikingdad90
Update on me. I have well and truly fallen off the bandwagon of late. I have rocketed from 10st 13lbs to 11st 12lbs on account of sitting on my backside working from home. I’m just getting back into the swing of getting on the bike 3 lunchtimes a week, now just need to stifle the munchies and cut down on the calorie intake so I don’t maintain and start to lose the stone.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm desk bound all day at home too, but (and I say this a lot), try do some walking daily. Get out at lunchtime and walk briskly for an hour, aim to do about 3.5 to 4 miles in your lunch hour if you can.
I walk a bit anyway, but I did a Walktober challenge with work (aiming to do over 10k steps per day, every day). It was fairly easy once I'd got into the habit of just getting out there. I only missed 3 days of walking in the month, I lost 9 pounds, and that was with no real change of diet.

Top Bottom