Advice on new road bike purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jatthey

I’ve been riding a Cannondale hybrid (which was my first real purchase) and am ready to move on to a real road bike at this point. I’m looking for some advice on where to look.

My budget is about $400. I realize this is very small, which makes it all the more important to know where to look.

I currently ride about 50 miles a week, all pavement. I ride for fitness and may join some races for fun. I live in the Denver area.

The first place I’ll be looking is my LBS. I’ll then look online. I may also wait until 4th of July to see if any sales pop up. I could go second-hand, but would prefer not to because of the unpredictability.

Do you know of any deal sites or other sites I should look at for bikes in that price range? Any specific models I should be looking at?

Thanks for your help.

U

User169

Most members of this forum are UK based. You'll likely get better help from a US forum.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
In that price range, in the States, I'd consider going to a LBS that has used bicycles checked out by the shop. You could get something great used in that range. Or try Craigslist.

froze

Über Member
$400 limits you to a finding anything new in America unless you go to Walmart and Walmart type of bikes do not have readily available replacement parts should something go wrong.

So I agree too that you need to scour Craigslist for a solid used bike; some bike shops do sell used bikes but generally they'll be a bit more expensive than those found on CL, but you might be able to negotiate a better price; also try Goodwill and the sort. Make sure any bike you find you check it out on the internet to make sure the brand and model is a good one because some are junky brands and models they're trying to pass off as vintage and crank the price up hoping to find someone ignorant enough to buy it.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You might also look at Pawn Shops, but be ready to do your own repairs, and know what you are looking at. The same provisos apply as @froze mentions above, although with an even greater level of care. If you're in the Midwest, many small and medium sized towns have their bike hoarder/fixer/seller as well.

I’ve been riding a Cannondale hybrid (which was my first real purchase) and am ready to move on to a real road bike at this point. I’m looking for some advice on where to look.

My budget is about $400. I realize this is very small, which makes it all the more important to know where to look.

I currently ride about 50 miles a week, all pavement. I ride for fitness and may join some races for fun. I live in the Denver area.

The first place I’ll be looking is my LBS. I’ll then look online. I may also wait until 4th of July to see if any sales pop up. I could go second-hand, but would prefer not to because of the unpredictability.

Do you know of any deal sites or other sites I should look at for bikes in that price range? Any specific models I should be looking at?

Thanks for your help.
Spend more money, get something sub 8kg and enjoy those Rockies!

Top Bottom