Advice on Oban to Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Have done that section in the past on two occasions, although from south to north. The A816 between Oban and Kilmartin (slightly north of Lochgilphead) looks like it ought to be busy as some have suggested; we didn't find that on either occasion, even in late July. There was traffic of course, but nowhere near what you might find on a road with a similar designation south of the border. Maybe we were lucky, or maybe things have changed in the intervening ten years. I would echo the sentiments that others have expressed though - depending on when you're able to travel, current circumstances make it likely things will be much busier this summer. If you're prepared to live with that possibility though, the ride is a corker.

If I were to do it again, simply for variety, I would choose NCN Route 78 - I think you considered this as a possibility? The road down the west side of Loch Awe looks wonderfully quiet and, from a quick mooch on Streetview, has a decent surface.
Thanks Ian - I think I would be doing the Loch Awe route, and by going midweek before the schools hols should avoid the worst of the traffic. Just need to hope for decent weather....

oldwheels

Legendary Member
From Oban you take the back road towards Connel and divert right then left on to the Glen Lonan road which takes you to Taynuilt. In Oban head on main Lochgilphead road for a short bit then turn left at the Parish Church for Connel.
In Taynuilt there is a short bit on the A85 then right for Glen Nant and down Loch Awe to Kilmartin where you can take the side road down towards Crinan and on to the Crinan canal path which will take you to Lochgilphead. Apart from the short bits of main road these are quiet roads.
For obvious reasons I have not been there for the last 2 years but nothing much will have changed.
I could go into more detail but that gives the bare bones of that section.

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

From Oban you take the back road towards Connel and divert right then left on to the Glen Lonan road which takes you to Taynuilt. In Oban head on main Lochgilphead road for a short bit then turn left at the Parish Church for Connel.
In Taynuilt there is a short bit on the A85 then right for Glen Nant and down Loch Awe to Kilmartin where you can take the side road down towards Crinan and on to the Crinan canal path which will take you to Lochgilphead. Apart from the short bits of main road these are quiet roads.
For obvious reasons I have not been there for the last 2 years but nothing much will have changed.
I could go into more detail but that gives the bare bones of that section.
Very helpful - thanks!

Top Bottom