Advice on replacement wheels for Tricross triple (mainly for commuting)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carl1976

I have a Tricross 2012 (basic triple) and whilst cleaning the bike this weekend I've noticed that there is a nasty split in the rim on the rear wheel. The bike was purchased in August 2012 and I do about 60 miles a week in all weathers. I clean the bike weekly. Should a rim fail after that period of time? Would it be worth making a warranty claim or would this fall under expected wear and tear. I weigh about 75kg so not hugely overweight and run the marathons at 80 psi and the G4S at 90psi.

Im minded top replace both wheels. As regards a replacement can anyone make any recommendations. I use 28mm GP4s during the spring and summer and marathon winters during the winter. I don't have room for separate summer and winter bikes so need a wheelset that I can take a 28 to 355 mm tyre width.

Best I can make out the front hub is a 130mm rather than 135mm. Front is standard 100. Don't mind spending a bit extra for durable wheels as I have done basic maintenance I have no idea how to service hubs and cannot build my own wheels. I don't need racing wheels for the potholed roads of Manchester.

I'm wondering whether it would be worth getting some hand built wheels or an off the set shelf. Also would it be worth investing in cartridge bearings wheels rather than cup and cone for ease for future maintenance?

Cyclist33

You would do well to state your budget as wheels can be had at all kinds of prices.

Generally accepted view is well built handmade wheels are strong as an ox and would be tailored to your requirements eg weight/comfort etc.

Or you could get Fulcrum Racing 5CX or Campagnolo Scirocco 35 CX, about £200 a pair...

One quick question - are you sure the nasty split isn't just the rim join?

OP
OP
C

Carl1976

Yes it is definitely a split. Quite jagged and most definitely fractured under stress.

As for budget I was hoping to keep it to about £150 but could stretch to £200 if the difference is worthwhile.

Brandane

Legendary Member
@Carl1976 : Last year I bought a new wheelset from Spa cycles for my 3 year old Tricross. I bought them more for touring, but they would make good commuting wheels too. Shimano 105 hubs with Rigida 36 spoke rims came in at about £240. I still use the original wheelset as my winter wheels.
You could ring them and discuss your requirements, which is what I did, and found them to be really helpful.

Top Bottom