Advice on replacing cassette so I can climb hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He did say the climb was gravel so he may be riding off road more than on.
Indeed, just saying, you can have mtb gears on anything if you want, although the more modern, the more awkward...

Indeed, just saying, you can have mtb gears on anything if you want, although the more modern, the more awkward...
>>Indeed, just saying, you can have mtb gears on anything if you want

Yes, tourers have long used MTB drivetrains. My tourers have, including a self-built thingie based on a 90s hybrid.

>>although the more modern, the more awkward...

Can you say more? A reference maybe to another trend I have managed to swerve?

Just that things have become more incompatible.
I've nothing beyond 9-speed, so, within limits, it's ok to mix and match. 10 and up, not so much.
Thanks for the reply.
And confirming my judgement.
I too have nothing beyond 9 speed across my many many bikes - and very definitely won't be going any higher.
Even a bodger like me can get most things to work.
And I don't need any more gears or any lower ones.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know this is a dumb question, but why would the front mech care how many "speeds" are present at the back? Is it to do with chain width?

They have a 'longer' cage - a double cage on the mech will most likely foul the chain on the smallest ring on a triple, and they are usually made for a longer travel. Otherwise, they don't care.

I know this is a dumb question, but why would the front mech care how many "speeds" are present at the back? Is it to do with chain width?
I believe 10 speed front mechs have a narrower cage than a 9 speed so you might get more problems with chain rub on a triple. If you can trim the front you might be able to work this though. I have some left rapidfires which are trimmable. Older school foilks can use downtube friction shifters. Someone feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
>>Indeed, just saying, you can have mtb gears on anything if you want

Yes, tourers have long used MTB drivetrains. My tourers have, including a self-built thingie based on a 90s hybrid.

>>although the more modern, the more awkward...

Can you say more? A reference maybe to another trend I have managed to swerve?

The cable pull ratios between mtn bike and road bike components diverged after 9 speed. So you for instance can no longer use a road dual control shifter with a rear mtn bike derailleur and get reliable shifting. If you use trigger shifters or bar end shifters then it’s a non issue.

I believe 10 speed front mechs have a narrower cage than a 9 speed so you might get more problems with chain rub on a triple. If you can trim the front you might be able to work this though. I have some left rapidfires which are trimmable. Older school foilks can use downtube friction shifters. Someone feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong.
Sounds about right! But I have to add that the earlier Campag Ergos did not have indexed front shifters, so trimming was a non-issue. That's the main reason a lot of us hang onto those 10sp (which happen to index with Shimano 8sp cassettes).

Top Bottom