Advice on restoring a Freddie Grubb Silver Star

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonathanY

I’ve been on CycleChat for several years, but haven’t got round to posting. My Freddie Grubb Silver Star is in a sorry state. By the frame no. it looks like it’s from 1962. I used it a lot when I was younger and kept it maintained but it’s now just rotting in my shed. About 4 years ago I dismantled several components – such as the brakes, pedals, saddle and gear assembly and spent time cleaning and de-rusting them, with the intention of reassembling everything. These parts are now in plastic bags, but the frame doesn’t look great, so I thought twice about going further. If anyone can suggest someone who could help me restore it back to a decent, useable condition, I’d be grateful – or at minimum advise on whether it’s worth doing. I’ve attached three very sad-looking pictures. Many thanks!

Frame no..jpg

Attachments

• Fork.jpg
    Fork.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 30

goldcoastjon

Try cleaning it up and GENTLY de-rusting it first: it only has its original paint once.

If it's too rusty to preserve, try ARGOS for a refinish. But ONLY after you clean and de-rust what's there.
"Patina" is OK as long as the bike is preserved from decay/rust with polish or touch-up paint.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@JonathanY there will be at least two options for you.
First and mine would be to give the frame a good clean and polish and keep the patina and then do the same with as many of the original components as possible but definitely replace cables , tyres, tubes and brake blocks. Then ride and enjoy it.

Second option will be to have the frame stripped and either repainted or powder coated then rebuild either using as much of the original components as possible.

Third option have the frame modernised and refinished to accept newer wheels and rebuilt with modern equipment.

It all depends if you can live with a degree of patina ?

But the important thing is to enjoy it or pass it on to someone who can .

Ooh and we need a full side on picture please

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I suspect more pics will reveal a lot more corrosion than we can see here.
I think it's worth a sandblasting and respray to bring it back to it's former glory. Won't be cheap but will preserve it as a thing of beauty forever.

Gillstay

Über Member
Give us some better pictures and then you can get better advice. I reckon a good clean would help as well as that is the first thing one does in this situation so you can assess properly what you have.
From what i can see I think it will be good and easily put to use.. ^_^

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Re-enamelling would have been done as routine if the bike had been in regular use since 1962. It will also preserve it better. Don't go anywhere near powdercoat, though. It needs doing properly by Argos, and if you get change out of £700 with all the colours and decals, I'll be surprised.

Pictures of the complete bike would be good to give us a better idea. A good wash off first would help. The rusty areas should be treated with a rust removing solution , lemon or lime juice is pretty good at listening rust which can then be easily scraped off with a flat bladed screwdriver. It is amazing how some really nasty rusty scabs on chrome can easily come off.

Top Bottom