Advice on servicing headsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I never bother unless I get a problem. If it ain't broke....

gbb

Legendary Member
Its quite easy and can lengthen the life of a bearing.
I do it at work more than on the bike, ie repairing an assembly and find i dont have a new replacement bearing. Seals out, clean, as he says blast out with an airline , pack with grease, insert seals and refit.
Done it on crank bearings a couple times. Ive even done it to some pretty dry and dirty bearings, it can have quite an effect.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks everyone. A new headset is £15 so I think I will stick with occasional replacement

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Am I missing something here? Unless you pop out the seals and repack the bearings then why the heck are you servicing the headset?
In fact, I'll change that. Unless you repack or replace the sealed bearings then you are not actually servicing the headset, you are merely taking it apart and putting g it back together again.
Either leave the bearings until they are shot and need replacement or repack the bearings. Anything else is just fannying about and you risk damaging something (stripped thread or similar!).

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Am I missing something here? Unless you pop out the seals and repack the bearings then why the heck are you servicing the headset?
In fact, I'll change that. Unless you repack or replace the sealed bearings then you are not actually servicing the headset, you are merely taking it apart and putting g it back together again.
Either leave the bearings until they are shot and need replacement or repack the bearings. Anything else is just fannying about and you risk damaging something (stripped thread or similar!).
Thanks. By taking it apart I did manage to have a good clean up which must have helped

Top Bottom