Advice on this bike pls....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
After some advice as i'm new to this bike lark;

Possibly viewing a Claud Butler Roubaix tomorrow that has hardly been used (~400 miles apparently).

It seems to be the correct size and will take my wish of mudguards according to the spec list i found on Evans (below).

As far as i can tell from the pictures etc it's a 2007 model so will be the following spec;

Frame: Alloy 6061 700c road frame with aero down tube and semi integrated headtube includes carrier and mudguard capability -

Forks: 12K weave carbon fibre with mudguard eyes and clearance -

Gears: Shimano 16 speed STI system -

Shifters: Shimano SORA -
Chainset: RPM CRD double chainset with silver alloy cranks 39/53 tooth chainrings -

Brakes: Alloy dual pivot long reach design with quick release cam system - Wheels: Anodised black double wall narrow profile rims with machined side wall equipped with alloy 32 hole quick release hubs -

Tyres: Kenda K-177 30 tpi 700 x 23c sport -
Handlebars: Alloy 26.0mm drop bar - Stem: Alloy 7 degree rise stem

Seems a good enough spec for a first road bike to use as a commuter?

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Obviously so good / bad you are all stunned into silence ;)

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Not ridden (a modern CB) one but as an entry level bike it looks ok.

The frame should be quite good if a little heavy and the forks I suspect could do with an upgrade to dampen the road vibration.

Groupset and brakes again are reasonable.

The wheels and chainset/BB will be cheapy stuff put on to make the price right so don't expect too much- I'd check the wheels and cranks for play before buying.

How much were they asking?

Hope this helps

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Thanks Pete, as long as the spec is reasonable (I know it's entry level) then that's fine for me. Haven't ridden a drop bar for about 25 years so don't really have anything to compare it too but my old MTB!

Asking price is £250

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Mike! said:
Thanks Pete, as long as the spec is reasonable (I know it's entry level) then that's fine for me. Haven't ridden a drop bar for about 25 years so don't really have anything to compare it too but my old MTB!

Asking price is £250

That's half price of the 2010 model (which presumably has even cheaper components on it) so if it has been lightly ridden you should be ok.

This post would apply to the bike

https://www.cyclechat.net/

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
I've just ridden a couple of drop bars at a local shop and after some long discussions about what i'm using it for have taken the decision not to go for something with drops. They have recommended a flat bar which does seem like the sensible option, i've come away with some brochures to have a look through.....

I thought sticking with flats would keep me to close to the kind of bike i have now but the shop assures me they will ride very very differently. Lighter, smoother and faster.

Will return for some test rides after some more research i think!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It's a matter of personal taste Mike. Personally I don't use the drop part of the bars that often but riding on the hoods is the most comfortable way to travel IMHO as you can change hand positions more easily.

Top Bottom