Advice on toe clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
My feeling is that the stiffness of a bike shoe sole is the first major benefit (MTB/commuter shoes are a little les stiff but absolutely fine). I personally would not be without my SPD pedals on all six bikes (inc a folder) not because of the upstroke but because it keeps my foot correctly positioned and stops it slipping. Getting used to them is like driving a manual car - once used to it you cannot imagine why you ever thought it would be hard....

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Thanks for all your replies. In the end i bought a pair of strapless toe clips to get the feel of things. I must say that my feet do feel more secure.

Dave

Davidc

Guru
dave r said:
Another one here that tried clipless and didn't like them and have gone back to toeclips.

+1. Hated the feeling of being attached to the bike.

I have strapless plastic clips on the round-town mtb and clips with straps on the tourer, and nothing will persuade me to try 'clipless' again.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Old timer said:
Thanks for all your replies. In the end i bought a pair of strapless toe clips to get the feel of things. I must say that my feet do feel more secure.

Dave

I use the strapless toeclips too, and find them perfectly adequate for my needs. The only bike I have clipless on is my recumbent trike, but with recumbents it's more of a safety thing to prevent your feet slipping off and getting sucked under the bike/trike. Of course, on a trike, you can never have a 'clipless moment'....

Top Bottom