Advice on toe clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
I used to ride with clips. I`m now back on a bike and riding my old EvansMB/road bike. I feel like I need toe clips so that I can pull up as well as push down at times. I think I might be barking up the wrong tree and having clips my put me more at risk.
What do you think?

Dave

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Get clipless, SPD, and some SPD shoes that you can walk in. Easier than clips. You are never too old to learn.

Lone Rider

Old timer said:
... having clips may put me more at risk.
What do you think?

Dave

If you are worried about using clips, I would ignore the well intentioned advice of the previous comments. I tried clipless SPD pedals for a few months, but went back to the plastic toe-clips that I had been using before. Less hassle.

Norm

I'm concerned at the number who never look back. That must be dangerous when cycling in traffic. :welcome:

Dave, there was a link posted here a few days ago which I cannot find at the moment. It was to a site which had done some research into the use of clipless pedals and it showed that very few people actually used the upstroke to power the bike. They used the clip to reduce the weight of the foot on the pedal, but they did not lift.

Given the number who have gone clipless, you might even find someone on here has a set of pedals with clips which they no longer require. :?:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Norm call and I answer, being of the 'not so keen' on clipless systems variety. Link to Rivendell Bikes article on clipless:-

http://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing/the_shoes_ruse

You can formulate your own opinions on the article, but I would note that there's a distinct lack of data, from manufacturers, supporting the benefit gains claimed for clipless systems.

That doesn't mean clipless are bad, or that they won't be a choice of preference for many cyclists. But I'm very wary of the 'night and day' differences, and vast improvements, some claim. I tried SPD's and wasn't happy, the only noticeable difference was on hill climbing and it wasn't very much. Certainly not enough to outweigh the inconvenience of having to wear cycling specific footwear, and click when you walk.

I still have my SPD shoes and one set of pedals up for sale, if you check in the classifieds. The pedals are flat one side SPD the other and the shoes a size 10.

Norm

MacB said:
I still have my SPD shoes and one set of pedals up for sale, if you check in the classifieds. The pedals are flat one side SPD the other and the shoes a size 10.
So you do, although that thread took some finding from 3 months ago.

I'm tempted to give them a try, second hand makes it a less risky investment if they turn out to be pants. Anyone else thinking about it, make MacB an offer quickly before I cogitate much further. :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 1258

MacB said:
Norm call and I answer, being of the 'not so keen' on clipless systems variety. Link to Rivendell Bikes article on clipless:-

http://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing/the_shoes_ruse

You can formulate your own opinions on the article, but I would note that there's a distinct lack of data, from manufacturers, supporting the benefit gains claimed for clipless systems.

That doesn't mean clipless are bad, or that they won't be a choice of preference for many cyclists. But I'm very wary of the 'night and day' differences, and vast improvements, some claim. I tried SPD's and wasn't happy, the only noticeable difference was on hill climbing and it wasn't very much. Certainly not enough to outweigh the inconvenience of having to wear cycling specific footwear, and click when you walk.

Another one here that tried clipless and didn't like them and have gone back to toeclips.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Thanks all for your replies

I`m riding at present with a pair of leather top trainers that have a real decent thick sole and a good treaded pattern. they lock in very well to the pedals and i get no slip backwards or forwards. Perhaps I`ll stick with those at the moment while I`m re-learning my riding skills.

thanks

Dave

Top Bottom