Advice on tyre damage please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threshold

Some advice please...
Following a puncture ( excuse the language), and repairing the inner tube, I have noticed the 'scar' left on the face of my Continental Ultra Race 700 x 25 front tyre of about 2mm.
My question is, does this require replacement, or is it ok to carry on using ( its only done about 1k miles), I do club runs weekends as well as commuting in the week by the way.
Thanks in anticipation :thumbsup:

Tynan

Veteran
need to see to be sure but serious tyre damage is usually very obvious, there's that much tension and pressure when inflated that the tyre will deform when it's no longer structurally sound, when the rubber wear through to the carcass or you get a flat spot, I'm a low maintenance type but tyres always tell me when it's time

Only you will know how bad it is or perhaps you can upload a photo to get a second opinion but as its on the front my first instinct would be to keep a pretty constant eye on it and if it gets any worse replace it, blow out on the rear tyre is more controllable but a blow out in the front tyre, especially on a fast club run can be dangerous.

1k miles isn't uncommon for folk I believe although I usually get much more than that my road bike tyres generally last 3500miles on the rear and the front then goes to the rear and the old rear binned.

OP
OP
threshold

threshold

Thanks for that, here is a piccy of the damage--- Does this help?
:thumbsup:

Attachments

• tyre.jpg
    tyre.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
threshold

threshold

Its actually the better halfs' painting studio where she works, but the light is great in there for maintenance, when I can sneak in! But, if any critics are interested, by all means a shot of the gallery can be arranged :blink:

Top Bottom