Advice on tyre size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve1733

Hi,

I am looking for advice about tyre and tube size for a pair of alloy rims I was given. The rims in question are Weimann 700c-17 x 622 and I would like to know what would be the widest tyre and suitable size of tube I could fit. I am presuming the max size of tyre would be 23mm?

The frame they will be going on is a 1981 Nishiki Rally (also given to me) which originally was fitted with 27x1¼ as stated in the catalogue. My link . As far as I'm aware I shouldn't encounter any problems fitting 700's to the frame apart from maybe having to fit a longer drop brake calliper. But I would appreciate if someone could confirm this for me.

Thanks.
Steve.

You can run up to 28c on they with no probs, maybe even a 32. It is mostly frame clearance rather than rim width which determines the upper limit and we know the bike will happily accept a 27 x 1 1/4.

Longer drop brakes is all you'll need indeed.

OP
OP
S

Steve1733

Thanks for your helpful reply and sorry for not acknowledging it sooner. I think I will play safe go for the 28's . 

Cheers.

Steve.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Although the recommendation is for the tyre not to be wider than 1.5X the inside rims size (17 mm in this case) you will find many mountain bike wheels running 2.25" tyres on rims that are just 13mm!! I have run 32 mm tyres on 15 mm rims on my touring bike without any problems.

barney5286

Although the recommendation is for the tyre not to be wider than 1.5X the inside rims size (17 mm in this case) you will find many mountain bike wheels running 2.25" tyres on rims that are just 13mm!! I have run 32 mm tyres on 15 mm rims on my touring bike without any problems.

A quote from the Sheldon Brown website gives this guideline:-
A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width.
My wheel inner size is 16.3, so I've opted for 700x32, so just within limits.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Sheldons little chart indicates a range of 25 to 37mm tyres on a 17mm rim.

I was recently looking into rims for a new wheelbuild and Mavic, Rigida, Alex and DT Swiss, all seem to recommend 28 to 47ish on a 17mm rim. There are variances, some of the disc only rims, at this size, are only rated for about 35mm upwards. I can only guess this has something to do with rim sidewalls being weaker for weight saving, as no brake track needed. So they rate these rims for bigger tyres but at lower pressures only, that's just my guess though.

barney5286

Sheldons little chart indicates a range of 25 to 37mm tyres on a 17mm rim.

I was recently looking into rims for a new wheelbuild and Mavic, Rigida, Alex and DT Swiss, all seem to recommend 28 to 47ish on a 17mm rim. There are variances, some of the disc only rims, at this size, are only rated for about 35mm upwards. I can only guess this has something to do with rim sidewalls being weaker for weight saving, as no brake track needed. So they rate these rims for bigger tyres but at lower pressures only, that's just my guess though.

Just had a reply from 'Alexrims Germany'
Dear Barney
I'll suggest the tyre size for DA16-700C from 28C to 35C.
Please double check with your local shops for confirmation and let me know
if you have further questions.
Thanks.

Alexrims European Office
170, D-28816 Stuhr, Germany
TEL: +49 421-87757650
FAX: +49 421-8984547

Top Bottom