Advice on used bike via photos (Giant TCR with Shimano Ultegra 15+ years old model)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ryisnne

Hello to everyone at CycleChat!

This is my first post and was wondering if I could get some advice on whether this bike might be a good deal or not!
I used to ride a cross bike and I am thinking of getting my first road bike, but have a limited budget so have been looking online at used bikes (here in Japan).

I found this bike with the photos you can see that I've attached. I feel it could potentially be a great deal, but as a beginner I'm not sure how to make the judgment. All the information I have is in the title of the post. I am asking the seller about how much maintenance has been done on the bike in the 15 years it has been owned, as well the distance the bike has seen.

I've been reading articles online about what to look for when buying used bikes... but I haven't developed an eye to spot anything the articles mentioned, so would love if I could get some help!!

Attachments

• m55057010943_1.jpg
    m55057010943_1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 8
  • m55057010943_10.jpg
    m55057010943_10.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 8
  • m55057010943_9.jpg
    m55057010943_9.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 5
  • m55057010943_8.jpg
    m55057010943_8.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 4
  • m55057010943_7.jpg
    m55057010943_7.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 5
  • m55057010943_6.jpg
    m55057010943_6.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 7
  • m55057010943_5.jpg
    m55057010943_5.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 5
  • m55057010943_4.jpg
    m55057010943_4.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 5
  • m55057010943_3.jpg
    m55057010943_3.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 5
  • m55057010943_2.jpg
    m55057010943_2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
R

ryisnne

Sorry I forgot to mention the price! It's being offered at approximately US$450

It's certainly been well used - and not all ultegra.
Those wheels are flash - but if a spoke breaks - unrideable.
Personally I'd rather go for a newer bike with a lesser groupset. Todays 105 is better than Ultegra of 15 years ago. (and that might even be older I think).

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Welcome to the party, where in Japan? I used to live in Chiba and Shizuoka. Bike is very well used as Cougie says. It also depends on what availability is like in Japan currently of course. Not my style bike wise but not sure I'd feel I was getting my money's worth for that price in the UK.

OP
OP
R

ryisnne

Wow!!!! Thank you so much for all the replies!!!

It's certainly been well used - and not all ultegra.
Those wheels are flash - but if a spoke breaks - unrideable.
Personally I'd rather go for a newer bike with a lesser groupset. Todays 105 is better than Ultegra of 15 years ago. (and that might even be older I think).
Ohhh! Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea! Especially with Today's 105 being better than Ultegra of 15 (or more) years ago. Thank you for your personal opinion on what you would do in this situation as well!

Welcome to the party, where in Japan? I used to live in Chiba and Shizuoka. Bike is very well used as Cougie says. It also depends on what availability is like in Japan currently of course. Not my style bike wise but not sure I'd feel I was getting my money's worth for that price in the UK.
I'm here in Tokyo!! It's not my favorite bike style either, but I found this and got excited at the opportunity potentially try out a race bike level experience! So I am willing to compromise a bit on the looks over the riding experience for now. That said I have no idea how the Giant bikes were priced 15+ years ago, so I thought I'd ask here. More on the availability below.

Very hard for us (mainly in UK) to judge used bike value in Japan.
What else is available for similar (or your max) budget to provide a benchmark?
I'm not completely confident about the average market prices, but using Giant bikes as a benchmark (since I'm fairly familiar with the models now), here are some numbers. The links have photos to the bikes, and the parts are all listed as well (in English).
As for the market price of used bikes, this page is in Japanese, but it might give a good feel as to how the pricing is.
The model name and year comes up in English, so you can probably get a feel from there:
https://jmty.jp/all/sale-kw-ロードバイク giant

Note: 10000 Japanese Yen (written on the site as "10000円") is equivalent to about £60

That being said, what I'm looking for is a "genuine" road bike experience for the lowest price possible.

I can get an off-brand "road bike" new for about £130 on amazon, but from what I've gathered reading online something like that is just the appearance of a road bike and not "genuine".

I'd like to dip my toes in the water with road bikes for as cheap as I can (at least for a year or two) without ripping myself off from the experience -- because I'd like to use that experience to see if I really want to invest more in the hobby!

vickster

Legendary Member
The TCR is a race bike and much newer. If speed is your thing, the TCr (seems a bargain as was probably £1500+ new) (check it’s not stolen if bike theft is a thing there). It’ll hold its value best if you decide road biking isnt for you. (Not really sure what you expect from a genuine road-bike experience if you can elaborate)

Do NOT buy a bike from Amazon!!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Japan is a stunning place to ride and I am returning in the next year or so for a long camping tour when I take early retirement.

OP
OP
R

ryisnne

The TCR is a race bike and much newer. If speed is your thing, the TCr (seems a bargain as was probably £1500+ new) (check it’s not stolen if bike theft is a thing there). It’ll hold its value best if you decide road biking isnt for you. (Not really sure what you expect from a genuine road-bike experience if you can elaborate)

Do NOT buy a bike from Amazon!!
"Genuine road bike experience" probably being the reason you said to NOT buy a bike from Amazon.

For example if I buy that £130 amazon road bike, base my road bike experience on that bike, and come out with the conclusion that I don't like road bikes. I'd like to avoid that.

I guess another way of saying it is like "don't judge whether you like or dislike sushi without coming to Japan and having the "real thing" at least once." Where sushi = road bike in this analogy ^_^

Which TCR are you referring to that was probably £1500+ new? The one I posted at the start of this thread?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The 2020 TCR is the best choice out of those, but obviously more yen. It looks in super condition, the cassette look either new / unused or has been fastidiously cleaned. If you can afford it, it seems good value.

The yellow TCR was a good bike in its day, but its day was a long time ago 15-20 years.

vickster

Legendary Member
"Genuine road bike experience" probably being the reason you said to NOT buy a bike from Amazon.

For example if I buy that £130 amazon road bike, base my road bike experience on that bike, and come out with the conclusion that I don't like road bikes. I'd like to avoid that.

I guess another way of saying it is like "don't judge whether you like or dislike sushi without coming to Japan and having the "real thing" at least once." Where sushi = road bike in this analogy ^_^

Which TCR are you referring to that was probably £1500+ new? The one I posted at the start of this thread?

Yes

OP
OP
R

ryisnne

Hello everyone, following up with an update.
Thank you for all the advice, it has been very helpful in processing all the information out there.

In conclusion I decided to buy a used, but seldom used 2013 model Giant Defy 3 in great condition for about £224.
I didn't mention this in my original post but I will be storing the bike outside (covered) when at home and in a bike parking lot during the day as I plan to also use it for my commute to work -- and I have been told that means I have to be ready for the risk of the bike being stolen.

So this is how I'll be entering into the world of road bikes, and if it works out then I'll start aiming for something higher!

Thank you again for this amazing community!

Hello everyone, following up with an update.
Thank you for all the advice, it has been very helpful in processing all the information out there.

In conclusion I decided to buy a used, but seldom used 2013 model Giant Defy 3 in great condition for about £224.
I didn't mention this in my original post but I will be storing the bike outside (covered) when at home and in a bike parking lot during the day as I plan to also use it for my commute to work -- and I have been told that means I have to be ready for the risk of the bike being stolen.

So this is how I'll be entering into the world of road bikes, and if it works out then I'll start aiming for something higher!

Thank you again for this amazing community!

Good solid choice.

I owned a defy and used it as a winter/commuting bike. It was great I regret selling it to be honest.

Top Bottom