Advice On What Are The Best Gravel Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CurryPrasad

Hi everyone! happy to be apart fo this forum and I apologise for my noobiness in advance haha. I am new to cycling and gravel biking, and have recently decided to upgrade. I am however a little overwhelmed with brands and choices and I was looking for any tips or suggestions on what the best mid range bikes around £2k-£3k are atm. I'm aware many brands have different styles etc and I was interested in getting a second hand Canyon CF SL 8 but I've been told by my local bike shop that they can be impossible to get parts for in the uk atm. I love Canyon style and I wanted something that will be good on road but also capable of me taking it off road for some fun down local trails etc. P.S love carbon fibre frames etc haha.
Ty
Curran

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The best one at the moment is the Available GB :smile:

Last edited:
Hi everyone! happy to be apart fo this forum and I apologise for my noobiness in advance haha. I am new to cycling and gravel biking, and have recently decided to upgrade. I am however a little overwhelmed with brands and choices and I was looking for any tips or suggestions on what the best mid range bikes around £2k-£3k are atm. I'm aware many brands have different styles etc and I was interested in getting a second hand Canyon CF SL 8 but I've been told by my local bike shop that they can be impossible to get parts for in the uk atm. I love Canyon style and I wanted something that will be good on road but also capable of me taking it off road for some fun down local trails etc. P.S love carbon fibre frames etc haha.
Ty
Curran
Hi, I have the 2019 version of the Diverge Sport and its been brilliant ... I also like the SL8 but its over £3k although 22 sp which i prefer. Getting hold of one is the issue though. Good luck :okay:
1633544608823.png

Baldy

Über Member
If you like canyon have a look at the Grizl
Grizl | CANYON GB

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm sorry but you're asking the wrong question. What you need to do is decide what you need from a gravel bike and then start from there. Fundamentally one of the most important questions is what type of riding do you want to be doing and what type of terrain will you be riding over?

When I was looking for my bike I discovered that the sandy terrain locally and the more demanding single track trails that I wanted to ride on, demanded wide tires. Most so called gravel bikes, only have clearance for narrow 40mm tires and in order to get decent tires you needed to purchase 650b wheels on top, in order to go wider. I wanted a bike with clearance for 50mm tires and I've found 47mm to be a perfect size for my needs at the moment, though there are occasions I wish I had space for wider.

Then frame material also needs to be thought about, I wanted to do a lot of touring off-road, so for me it was steel all the way, again, this narrowed down my choices to a few bikes.

Surprisingly for GCN, the video below is generally quite good and details most of the man points I would consider when trying to decide on which bike to go for.

View: https://youtu.be/grmh4TZVWe8

When you've decided what you need from a gravel bike, then it's time to see which bike actually fits your needs. Having done all that myself I alighted on the Kona Sutra Ltd as my perfect gravel bike and so far it has proved to be an amazing bike and for me, this is the perfect gravel bike.

DRM

Guru
I'm sorry but you're asking the wrong question. What you need to do is decide what you need from a gravel bike and then start from there. Fundamentally one of the most important questions is what type of riding do you want to be doing and what type of terrain will you be riding over?

When I was looking for my bike I discovered that the sandy terrain locally and the more demanding single track trails that I wanted to ride on, demanded wide tires. Most so called gravel bikes, only have clearance for narrow 40mm tires and in order to get decent tires you needed to purchase 650b wheels on top, in order to go wider. I wanted a bike with clearance for 50mm tires and I've found 47mm to be a perfect size for my needs at the moment, though there are occasions I wish I had space for wider.

Then frame material also needs to be thought about, I wanted to do a lot of touring off-road, so for me it was steel all the way, again, this narrowed down my choices to a few bikes.

Surprisingly for GCN, the video below is generally quite good and details most of the man points I would consider when trying to decide on which bike to go for.

View: https://youtu.be/grmh4TZVWe8

When you've decided what you need from a gravel bike, then it's time to see which bike actually fits your needs. Having done all that myself I alighted on the Kona Sutra Ltd as my perfect gravel bike and so far it has proved to be an amazing bike and for me, this is the perfect gravel bike.

This is top advice, there are many types of gravel bike, from the as near as damn it to a road bike to those that are MTB’s in all but name, have a good think about conditions in your locality, then find something that suits your needs.

Top Bottom