Advice on what Tablet to get for elderly Mother

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My answer is to get her whatever you have (or the person who will be supporting her has). If you are in the Apple world then an iPad makes most sense, if you are on Android then an Android tablet would be best.

My 2 cents - for a tablet for the general population nothing beats an iPad, well worth £300.
I agree , i personally have never used any apple products so i would go for andriod as i am used to it but your best to go with whats most comfy
Just a thought now the shops are open take her to currys and let her play and see which she prefers within your budget ?

DRM

Guru
iPad is really easy to use, have a look at something like music magpie
https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store...Pads-Tablets-HP&prm_position=S2&prm_id=HPS2NB
doesn’t have to be brand new

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use an Ipad and this is being typed on a macbook which is in addition to my Iphone.
I have tried other systems for my wife but found them very difficult to get to grips with. For me at least the Ipad seems much more intuitive.I still have a laptop with microsoft but it is only used as a video player nowadays. If there is nothing likely to be sensitive on it you could also chance it without a password if that is going to be a problem although personally I would not recommend that.

DRM

Guru
I use an Ipad and this is being typed on a macbook which is in addition to my Iphone.
I have tried other systems for my wife but found them very difficult to get to grips with. For me at least the Ipad seems much more intuitive.I still have a laptop with microsoft but it is only used as a video player nowadays. If there is nothing likely to be sensitive on it you could also chance it without a password if that is going to be a problem although personally I would not recommend that.
What you could do with an iPad is have a pass code, rather than a pass word, if you use a significant date, mums birthday for example, it'll be very easy to remember, there is also finger print recognition on mine, which will make access easy, you only put the pass code in when you first switch it on.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
For what your mum wants to use it for then the excellent Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 is as good as she will need. Looks good. Performs well and has a solid and long-standing track record. And if you can find the deals, then you can get it for £160.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
What you could do with an iPad is have a pass code, rather than a pass word, if you use a significant date, mums birthday for example, it'll be very easy to remember, there is also finger print recognition on mine, which will make access easy, you only put the pass code in when you first switch it on.
I probably have an older version of Ipad as mine does not have fingerprint recognition which my phone does but it would be the most useful if memory is not good. I also use a number to log in rather then a word.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The choice is apple or android, and what you are comfortable supporting 'remotely'. If it's not a bother, then pick what she fancies. Budget is of course the Fire 10, then Samsung/Apple products for a more premium item.

Doesn't matter how many training sessions you do in person, just get ready for frequent phone calls that go....

"My whatsit isn't doing that thing, it's not letting me. There's a green thing normally but that's not there. You know that thing... that thing, the one that's there, look, you know. Well it's not there today and I can't do the thing that I saw you do that time... you know, the thing you were on? You press it. You did something and I could see the pictures? I can't see those pictures. How do I get the green thing back?"

Drives me spare.

Oh and she has a refurb Samsung tablet. I like the Kindle Fire but as mentioned there's no app store so that's no good for my MIL, she likes to download a lot of those daft free "match 3" games.
We have this with MIL

- solution, for the most part, is to use Teamviewer which allows us to see her screen and direct her. It’s not as good as the teamviewer for PC which allows you to take over but it does at least allow you to say “it’s over on the left, third button down ...”

oh, and fingerprint recognition is a lifesaver for someone who wants to write down all her passwords 🙄😡

OP
OP
S

Skibird

For what your mum wants to use it for then the excellent Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 is as good as she will need. Looks good. Performs well and has a solid and long-standing track record. And if you can find the deals, then you can get it for £160.
That sounds great, as she has set her heart on a Samsung ( a friend has one, told her it's good, so that's her decided lol).

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
That sounds great, as she has set her heart on a Samsung ( a friend has one, told her it's good, so that's her decided lol).

Well done. I have had Samsungs for a long time and wouldn't have anything else. I hope your mum loves it. :okay:

Top Bottom