Advice on wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fattony

Hi

I have the 2014 Boardman CX Comp

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/boardman/cx-comp-2014

To be fair it does what I want it to do, fitness riding generally but I struggle when the kids want me to ride out with them off road (not tracks just grass mainly) as it has road tyres on it.

I said to myself when I’m 2000 miles in I’d upgrade the bike but I’m only at 1000 and an upgraded bike wouldn’t be going off road so I’m wondering if I upgraded the rims for on road and kept the stock wheels for taking the kids out, it’s what 5 minute change over and I don’t have to buy a second bike.

What wheels would you suggest, ideally I’d be hopeful to upgrade the stock wheels but nothing silly money, probably upto £100 a wheel - may not even be worth it in which case I could look at 2nd hand for off road wheels.

thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mavic Aksium disc, but add in tyres tubes and additional brake discs.

OP
OP
F

fattony

Mavic Aksium disc, but add in tyres tubes and additional brake discs.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, would this be an upgrade on the stock Mavic XM319 or about even?

There is so much I don’t know about wheels but I’m sure some will spin freely better than others etc, so if I’m spending £200 on wheels plus disc (I have the tyres) then I would like to feel it’s worth it

thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fairly similar. I am die hard Mavic Wheels/rims. The Aksiums are pretty much fit and forget (I assume 700c wheels). all my bikes have Mavic rims or wheels.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I had the same wheels on the 2014 CX team, very heavy. Replaced at Christmas with some from Superstar albeit quite heavily reduced. I run with 32mm tyres. Think they might be back at around £300 but worth a look
I’m around 92kg and carry panniers so wanted plenty of spokes
https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/element-roadlite-v6-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm
£140 with the code ROAD50 at the moment.

I purchased a pair as back-up earlier thanks to a savings account interest payout ^_^

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm a big fan of DT Swiss wheels. I have dt swiss p1800 wheels on my CX bike running 32mm tyres and r23s on my road bike. Noisy hubs though, but I like that.

OP
OP
F

fattony

Ok I feel a bit out of my depth, this is the tyres I have

https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-clincher-road-tyre-700c-69890.html

So it sounds like the current Mavic XM319 are heaven wheels, I have a 9 speed cassette but I presume they can be changed, it’s also disc brake not v

any other recommendations?

OP
OP
F

fattony

I wanted to have a spare set of wheels as when the kids want to go on the bikes I’m limited with my road tyres, I have the stock tyres and wondered if I could get some spare wheels so I could just quickly change them to take the kids out.

In doing do I thought about I may be able to upgrade the stock wheels for road use.

thansk

vickster

Legendary Member
I wanted to have a spare set of wheels as when the kids want to go on the bikes I’m limited with my road tyres, I have the stock tyres and wondered if I could get some spare wheels so I could just quickly change them to take the kids out.

In doing do I thought about I may be able to upgrade the stock wheels for road use.

thansk
Didn’t it come with knobbly CX tyres? They're for off road surely? I swapped mine to 32mm slicks for roads

OP
OP
F

fattony

They sure did, however if a bit of a pain swapping tyres over compared to sliding a different wheel on? Or am I being lazy here

Top Bottom