Advice on which locks to use from experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ishaqmir

Hi

I’m hoping to take delivery of my first time ever electric cargo bike for my home visits tomorrow...

I’ve read a lot about different types of locks etc and I’ve already ordered the Abus Bordo 6500 folding lock with the bike, which is Sold Secure Gold and therefore insurer will be happy. I went for that lock as realistically it’s unlikely I’ll have bike racks near home visits and will therefore have to lock around tall lamp posts. Hence I haven’t gone for the granite extreme D locks.

The bike will also come with an Abus chain, which links to the front wheel cafe lock, so not all that strong but nevertheless an extra lock.

Now I’d like to get ONE more lock to calm my nerves, and I’m thinking the 5kg Hiplok Homie chain as it means I can also use it to lock bike at home and also take with me for lamp posts, weight is not an issue as it’s a cargo bike. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Ive never left a bike unattended ever so I’m very anxious about the whole idea...

vickster

Legendary Member
Get lockable skewers for wheels and seatpost too, I would not use a cafe lock for anything if bike out of sight
Even get an alarm.
Do check the terms and conditions of your insurance policy very carefully and make sure all the security complies

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Insurance requirement is the big one. Check it.

Is the front wheel lock a cafe lock or a ring/Dutch/nurse's lock? The latter should be fine as second lock. I'd get sick of pedalling 5 kg of lock around and I'm fairly paranoid!

If you lock to lampposts, make it tight enough that they can't fold the lamppost down and slide the bike off, if it's the sort of lamppost that folds. Never lock to signposts because they either remove the signs and lift the bike off, or lift the post up and out.

OP
OP
I

ishaqmir

Thanks for replies, the front lock is that Abus ring type claw usually where you get the calliper brakes. Definitely won’t be relying on that.

the insurers are saying locked to immovable object and I gave them a call and they said a good tall solid lamppost is acceptable where the bike can’t be lifted off.

mjr, 5kg yes, but do you think that’s not advisable even with an electric cargo bike?

Smudge

Veteran
I like using a d lock, there's always some sort of immovable street furniture around to lock your bike to with a d lock. I also sometimes use it in conjunction with a thick cable lock.
But if they really want your bike, nothing will stop them.
Also, those folding bike locks can be easily broken with a nut splitter.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A lock and chain sold for motorbikes is a good idea.

Oxford is a respected brand, not cheap, but as ever you get what you pay for.

I take it you are having a Riese and Muller cargo ebike with the Bosch motor.

If it has the square centrally mounted the Intuvia display, you can disable the motor by removing the display.

Worth bearing in mind there is no electronic key.

Anyone with an Intuvia display could make the bike work, but they cost about £100 unless the thief can steal one from another bike.

Stealing a Bosch ebike is not the brightest of ideas because the thief will not get a key to the battery lock or a charger, making selling the bike on difficult.

Not that anyone ever said bike thieves were intelligent.

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/product_type/security/disc_locks_and_padlocks/

OP
OP
I

ishaqmir

A lock and chain sold for motorbikes is a good idea.

Oxford is a respected brand, not cheap, but as ever you get what you pay for.

I take it you are having a Riese and Muller cargo ebike with the Bosch motor.

If it has the square centrally mounted the Intuvia display, you can disable the motor by removing the display.

Worth bearing in mind there is no electronic key.

Anyone with an Intuvia display could make the bike work, but they cost about £100 unless the thief can steal one from another bike.

Stealing a Bosch ebike is not the brightest of ideas because the thief will not get a key to the battery lock or a charger, making selling the bike on difficult.

Not that anyone ever said bike thieves were intelligent.

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/product_type/security/disc_locks_and_padlocks/

Hi Pale Rider

after weeks of thinking and frustration, I made the decision to go with the Tern GSD S00, mainly because I can fit it into the Mrs 7 seater and take it to different towns and then do the home visits. The R&M Load 75 was like the Rolls Royce but I would have been stuck if long distance commuting didn’t work out... it was a beast and not transportable, although also not very steal-able lol

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi Pale Rider

after weeks of thinking and frustration, I made the decision to go with the Tern GSD S00, mainly because I can fit it into the Mrs 7 seater and take it to different towns and then do the home visits. The R&M Load 75 was like the Rolls Royce but I would have been stuck if long distance commuting didn’t work out... it was a beast and not transportable, although also not very steal-able lol

There was a Tern in Edinburgh Bicycles when I last visited.

I can see the attraction, neater design in several respects than the Riese and Muller, which is a tank, albeit a well made one.

The stuff about removing the display still applies.

OP
OP
I

ishaqmir

There was a Tern in Edinburgh Bicycles when I last visited.

I can see the attraction, neater design in several respects than the Riese and Muller, which is a tank, albeit a well made one.

The stuff about removing the display still applies.

the problem is the Tern GSD comes with Purion display only, no other options. And that’s not removable. But I am definitely going to remove the battery every time I leave the bike locked?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
the problem is the Tern GSD comes with Purion display only, no other options. And that’s not removable. But I am definitely going to remove the battery every time I leave the bike locked?

The Purion is neater, but an Intuvia might have suited you better.

No worries, removing an Intuvia is a relatively minor security precaution.

Removing the battery would make the bike less attractive to thieves, although they are heavy lumps so you may not want to be bothered to do it.

I think your main line of defence - other than a good lock - is not to leave the bike in a vulnerable position.

You presumably won't be leaving it in the same place at the same time every day.

It would be a big risk if you did.

The bike is less likely to be nicked if left at odd times in different residential streets, which I assume is where your customers are.

Do some of them have gardens or drives?

Parking the bike there or round the back of their house ought to be fairly safe.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Whatever you do. DO NOT USE CABLE LOCKS! They're crap and can be cut open with pliers in minutes. The general consensus is to use 2 different types of locks which increase the time a thief will take to break them and chances are, the thief isn't going to walk about with multiple tools for them nor spend long near the bike, he'll specifically target locks he knows he can bust fast. But whether you want carry 2 locks is down to you really... Failing that there's good advice above...

OP
OP
I

ishaqmir

The Purion is neater, but an Intuvia might have suited you better.

No worries, removing an Intuvia is a relatively minor security precaution.

Removing the battery would make the bike less attractive to thieves, although they are heavy lumps so you may not want to be bothered to do it.

I think your main line of defence - other than a good lock - is not to leave the bike in a vulnerable position.

You presumably won't be leaving it in the same place at the same time every day.

It would be a big risk if you did.

The bike is less likely to be nicked if left at odd times in different residential streets, which I assume is where your customers are.

Do some of them have gardens or drives?

Parking the bike there or round the back of their house ought to be fairly safe.

yes, with home visits I will be in random locations for 1 hour max at any given location, and then wouldn’t usually return until another 12 months. also, some patients will hopefully allow me to bring the bike into their entrance, that would overcome a lot of anxiety! Let’s see how it pans out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used a ABUS Bordo as my secondary lock to a FAGH mini. The Bordo is 'different' enough to confuse some theives. They are good locks, but it wouldn't be my primary lock. The FAGH mini is the best, takes out Tanks at 20ft, but it's a bit trick to lock stuff up with as it's small and tight, so takes practice - this means it's extra secure though.

Top Bottom