Advice on Zipp 303s wheelset please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ojfbx

Regular
Hi folks,

I’ve just placed an order for a new Ribble and have the option to upgrade the 40mm Level wheels to either 56mm for £100 or Zipp 303s (45mm) for £150. I’m intrigued by the Zipps but as a heavier rider on their max weight limit, I’m slightly dubious about their Max 73 psi. With the new bike, I plan on moving over to 28mm tyres anyway, but I currently run my 25mm at 110psi. Does anyone have any experience with this particular wheelset? How much am I going to notice that drop in pressure? Is it going to slow me down? Zipp claim not, but…. how? Are the tyres going to bulge out on the road surface?

TIA.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are they tubeless?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes. Hookless too.
That’s presumably why the pressures are su much lower.how much do you weigh and what is the stated max rider weight?
Aren't the deep wheels a bit of a handful in the wind? Is the bike for racing?

OP
OP
ojfbx

ojfbx

Regular
I’m 115kg, which is bang on the max weight limit.
The 56mm are probably my third choice for the reason you said, but they do look very cool...
The 45mm of the Zipps look just right to me and coupled with the lifetime warranty is very tempting, I’m just hesitant over the pressure as well as the fact that if I did want to revert to a narrower tyre, I can‘t.

I’m using them for training and sportive events mostly.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m 115kg, which is bang on the max weight limit.
The 56mm are probably my third choice for the reason you said, but they do look very cool...
The 45mm of the Zipps look just right to me and coupled with the lifetime warranty is very tempting, I’m just hesitant over the pressure as well as the fact that if I did want to revert to a narrower tyre, I can‘t.

I’m using them for training and sportive events mostly.
Need to add the weight of the bike and accessories too. Check there’s no issue with warranty if you exceed the weight limit as presumably bike etc will add at least 10kg

Sharky

Guru
Which ribble model are you going for? Some nice ones on the website, but so expensive. Think I paid £600 the last time I bought a ribble and I thought that was expensive! Must admit that it was a few years decade's ago.

OP
OP
ojfbx

ojfbx

Regular
Endurance SL Disc with SRAM Rival. Very excited!

Top Bottom