Advice please-newbie wants to improve bike and performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Bit late on this thread.

I pulled my old mtb out of the shed last Spring and started the long road to cycling fitness. Like you I found the first few rides really hard - 10 miles had me properly blowing. After a while I swopped my knobbly tyres for slicks, which made it a bit easier. As for distance, I was finding 50 miles about my limit in terms of comfort. I then bought a road bike - nothing fancy, a £600 Cararra, which has done great service. My average speed increased by a whole 3 mph, but I've peaked at 15mph and don't see myself going much quicker. I can now comfortably ride up to 100 miles though, which is what is important to me.

Regardless of your bike, the main way to improve is riding the miles, the more you ride the easier it gets. Some times you have good days, sometimes the ride does not work. Luckily, the great thing about cycling is that there is always the next ride, which in your head will always be the best ride !

OP
OP
J

Joeletaxi

Regular
Well im still pedalling,,weekends only mostly due to commitments. It may seem glaringly obvious to many bit i learned a new trick. I raised my seatpost and it made things a lot better ! I now find i can do my standard circuit marginally faster but with less effort,and keep going.

The other thing i notice is that i did most of it with the front on the top of three chain rings without any strain.

Maybe i need a new rear cassette with some more teeth? If i have counted accurately, my biggest rear cog has 28 teeth. I guessed its geared as a MTB ??

I shall fine tune my seat post height now..

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well im still pedalling,,weekends only mostly due to commitments. It may seem glaringly obvious to many bit i learned a new trick. I raised my seatpost and it made things a lot better ! I now find i can do my standard circuit marginally faster but with less effort,and keep going.

The other thing i notice is that i did most of it with the front on the top of three chain rings without any strain.

Maybe i need a new rear cassette with some more teeth? If i have counted accurately, my biggest rear cog has 28 teeth. I guessed its geared as a MTB ??

It sounds like you need a front with more teeth or a rear cassette with less.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Your leg should be straight or thereabouts with the crank in the 6 o'clock position. Some research conducted at Nottingham University some years ago with racing cyclists concluded the best saddle height to be 106% of your inside leg measurement so you stretch slightly for max power delivery. You may be more comfortable with a little less.

Top Bottom