Advice please on a trusted local bike shop....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I'm a complete novice who has recently purchased what I think is a very good secondhand bike from eBay.
I have just done my first ride, nothing fell off or went wrong but my worry is where do I go when it does?

I have a Halfords local to me but I'd much rather build a relationship with a proper little shop, with the old fashioned idea that the person behind the counter cares and wants me to come back on a regular basis.

I'm in a little place called Fairburn which is near to East Leeds, Selby, Castleford and Pontefract.

All advice greatly appreciated....

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Fine Fettle Cycles in Barwick-in-Elmet, one man band, the smallest bike shop I've ever seen but very knowledgable chap and great value for money.
Although I haven't been, there is a good shop in Castleford but I can't recall the name, I'll get back to you on that one.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Bonefish Blues is spot on there. Its as hit and miss with a LBS as much as a Halfords store.
You have done the right thing asking for a recommendation :okay:

DRM

Guru
A quick google search brings up Castleford Cycles on Methley Rd & Dave Rayner Cyclesport on Main St Garforth, could be worth a run out to visit and see what kind of gut feeling you get, ask them about something, but ask here first to see what kind of a response/advice they give you.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Although it may be a scary thought italso consider learning how to maintain and service your bicycle yourself.
One of the cycle mechanic starter kits that are sold periodically by Aldi and Lidl is a reasonable starter investment and then upgrade as and when required.
Most jobs on a cycle are relatively easy to carry out and you can always seek advice from this site's Mechanics thread and there are lots of very experienced members willing to offer advice and guidance. Also you can find instructions for virtually everything cycle maintainence related on YouTube.
One definite advantage of learning your own way around your bicycle is that if anything goes wrong on a ride, you may be able to sort it for self.

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

Thanks for the tips guys, I like the idea of a small local bike shop locally and will probably try the guy in Castleford as I passed it the other day. Unfortunately the weather has been poor so Ican only use the trainer in the conservatory but boy is that hard work. Is this just me being mega unfit? 25 minutes seems like 90!!

I’ll try and post a photo shortly.....

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

My new bike....

Attachments

• 5947C2D2-5AA2-4578-95A4-204F3071895E.jpeg
    5947C2D2-5AA2-4578-95A4-204F3071895E.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 80

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Although it may be a scary thought italso consider learning how to maintain and service your bicycle yourself.
One of the cycle mechanic starter kits that are sold periodically by Aldi and Lidl is a reasonable starter investment and then upgrade as and when required.
Most jobs on a cycle are relatively easy to carry out and you can always seek advice from this site's Mechanics thread and there are lots of very experienced members willing to offer advice and guidance. Also you can find instructions for virtually everything cycle maintainence related on YouTube.
One definite advantage of learning your own way around your bicycle is that if anything goes wrong on a ride, you may be able to sort it for self.
While echoing this, unless I'm mistaken you Wilier is Campagnolo equipped and some of the tools in the Aldi and Lidl kits won't fit the Campag equipment, so at first best seek out a local shop familiar with top end kit, until you are confident. That said, much of the day to day maintenance is going to be like any other bike.

Top Bottom