advice please on which club to join for a completer beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Helen2020

I would like to join a Saturday morning cycling club but I want a gentle start! It's been a while since I have cycled and never in Edinburgh. I would prefer to go on scenic cycle routes rather than on busy roads.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Helen, welcome to Cycle Chat :welcome:
I suggest you contact the Edinburgh Belles on Bikes, they are a lovely bunch that will make you feel welcome.
Find them on Facebook or on meetup www.meetup.com
Let us know how you get on!

BigMeatball

Cycling in Edinburgh can be an awfully stressful experience for a beginner. The state of the roads is horrendous and the amount of peanuts on the roads is ridiculous, especially cab drivers.

I start enjoying my rides only after I'm past the bypass. Plenty of incredible routes with my favourite area being East Lothian.

About cycling clubs, I only know 2: "Ronde cc" that does Saturday rides starting from I think Stockbridge, and "Musselburgh rcc" which does club rides but on a Sunday. Don't have first hand experience about either of them but I'm sure they're friendly people and you won't be left behind.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
20 milers meet every second Saturday of each month. EasyCycle meet on the last Sunday of each month. Both groups are social rides aimed at beginner cyclists (more so Easy Cycle) and try to stay off the busier roads as much as possible.

The former group is usually around 20-25 miles averaging 10mph. The latter group average 12-15 miles and speeds nearer 8mph. Both groups usually have a coffee/cake/light lunch stop. Meet up for both groups is on middle meadow walk.

If you go to either, tell them Neil recommended you.:hello:

Finally.... There’s plenty of info on the cycling Edinburgh website.

Last edited:
Top Bottom