Advice please regarding potential mechanical disc brake upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Fair comment I like Skol. I'll try adjustments as you suggest to the existing set up first before committing to the hy/rd. I think I had written off the Promax Render R calipers because of the almost uniform criticism from users.

I would suggest you get some bicycle maintenance training especially for bicycle disc brakes as you don't appear to have any. Brakes are a very important component on a bike and especially if they are the brakes on your nearest and dearest's bike. You wouldn't want her ending up in a hawthorne hedge or splat against a stone wall. You say,

I would like to improve the brakes on my wife's Cannondale CAADX 105 2016 cyclocross bike. It's only used for very light touring and short day rides on tow paths etc., but she isn't confident that the brakes can quickly stop the bike if need be. The bike came with Promax Render R, 160mm front and 140mm rear rotors. It is obvious from reviews that these are budget, poor performing brakes.

Surely it would be more sensible to ensure these current brakes are working properly before shelling out for some more which if fitted by you might or might not be any better. If I didn't really know what I was doing I would give my bike to some one who did. Don't compromise on brakes. Brakes are a critical safety item. They have to work and work properly. Sorry to be blunt but a little or no knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

OP
OP
H

Howyadoinoutthere

Thanks for the encouragement.
An update:
Considered all of the advice I received on here.
Tried adjusting existing calipers, no significant improvement (existing set up was good anyway).
Watched relevant instructional videos from TYP, Park Tools and GCN.
Made sure I had the tools I needed.
Cleaned and re-fitted the rotors.
Fitted new compressionless hoses and cables.
Fitted new TRP HY/RD calipers.
Took my time and was very careful.
Ridden the bike down three hills and delighted with the upgrade. The new brakes work really well
Learnt a lot and enjoyed my day doing the work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom