Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ejb

Okay so I am a new to this, I have been looking for a replacement for my stolen Bike.

I am after a Hybrid, the Carrera Crossfire 3, I was about to purchase, until my Mrs said about the Ride to Work scheme.
I have a few disabilities and I hope that somone may be able to help me with choosing a new bike. I have a partial knee replacement which is uncomfortable, gives way and locks at times, and also a neck problem, I want the cycle for regular exercise looking at using about 3-4 journeys of 12 miles for work and a couple of approx 15 miles exercise per week.

I would dearly appriciate any suggestions.

Ejb

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Crossfire is regarded as a sturdy, good value bike.

Are you saying you've now upped your budget because of Cycle to Work?

If so, what is it?

vickster

Legendary Member
If you have the issues you describe, make sure you get the correct size bike and get it set up properly. On that basis, I personally buy from a well established local bike shop and not halfords

crazyjoe101

Aside from advising you on a specific bike, I second the fit advice above. Take measures to confirm your frame size and maybe even get a professional fit.

OP
OP
E

Ejb

If you have the issues you describe, make sure you get the correct size bike and get it set up properly. On that basis, I personally buy from a well established local bike shop and not halfords

Thanks I am looking into local shops, as I said I am a novice and appreciate any suggestions as to what bikes and will get advice regarding my disadvantages.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have an Evans close by, picture ID and a bank card for surety? If so, go get some test rides

What was the stolen bike?

Is your partial knee medial, lateral or patello-femoral? How are the muscles around your knee? Do you have full range of movement?
Do you work with a physio for the knee and neck?

OP
OP
E

Ejb

Do you have an Evans close by, picture ID and a bank card for surety? If so, go get some test rides

Is your partial knee medial, lateral or patello-femoral? How are the muscles around your knee? Do you have full range of movement?
Do you work with a physio for the knee and neck?
You have me on the medical phrases, Lower knee joint replaced, no I used to have physio but no longer. The bike I had stolen was a raleigh approx £200 4 years ago it was a gift but also a struggle to ride at times pretty heavy going.

OP
OP
E

Ejb

Do you work with a physio for the knee and neck?[No Evans nearby.]

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry, lateral, outside of knee, medial inside or around the kneecap

I'd go for an upright lightish hybrid model, ask the shop to add a riser stem to make it more upright. With the knee, it is important to have the saddle at the right height, probably so you aren't over bending it

Where do you live? Someone might be able to recommend a shop where you'll get good advice, preferably one that also does bike fitting, and will let you take the bike out

OP
OP
E

Ejb

Sorry, lateral, outside of knee, medial inside or around the kneecap

I'd go for an upright lightish hybrid model, ask the shop to add a riser stem to make it more upright. With the knee, it is important to have the saddle at the right height, probably so you aren't over bending it

Where do you live? Someone might be able to recommend a shop where you'll get good advice, preferably one that also does bike fitting, and will let you take the bike out

Oxfordshire I like the look of the Cannondale 4 at Summertown Cycles how do they compare with the Carrera Crossfire 3 I was looking at?

vickster

Legendary Member
They are very good, but fairly sporty, so best sit on one and see if it's upright enough and the right fit. Crossfire has suspension, unnecessary for road riding, will be heavier I would think (and bouncy, using more energy)

OP
OP
E

Ejb

Thanks for your advice I think a trip to the shop is on the cards for tomorrow, the thing that I like about the Crossfire 3 is that you can lock out the suspension for roads and open it up for tow paths etc.!
also it was the first one that I liked the look of, but I do take your point a local cycle dealer will probably give me better advice.

Top Bottom