Advice? Sizing? 29er? Makes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
Hi , looking for a decent mountain bike for bit of off road and road cycling,currently have a road bike but as winter draws in and I live by coastal woodland I'm looking to use a mountain bike more.
Any advice on a decent make nothing too fancy just really entry level to start with, I have seen a trek 29er and been told 29er is better to get ? Also what size for a 5ft 8 and 29" leg? Thanks for reading and any help appreciated

surfdude

Veteran
been told 29er is better to get . thats a can of worms you have opened up .
you need to tell us what trek model it is your looking at and price so the guys on here can give you the advice you need .
i am 5/8 and ride a 26 and love it . it is responsive and turns quick and does everything i want out of a ride and more .
been told 29 are not so responsive on tight stuff but do roll over rocks and roots better . it all depends on where and what type of riding you want to do .
someone will be along to add more i am sure

You'll certainly find a 29er to fit you but not all makes use the same tube shapes, geometry and sizing, so the advice would be to try and find one to try. 29er's generally have steeper top tubes on smaller sizes, a compromise of the geometry, so standover height won't be the same as on a smaller wheeled bike. Something to bear in mind when you try them.

As for whether you should get one, you decide on the kind of rider and riding you do. I have one and I have to say it suits me. I'm still amazed at how smooth it feels when riding and I look forward to riding it everytime. Ultimately, choose a bike you feel inspired to ride.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Hi thanks for replies,I have seen a cannondale trial 7 29er now the other was a trek Marlin hard tail 29er but the cannondale is cheaper,it's nothing serious off road not racing or doing mad jumps just a mix of the two really, just to keep me cycling off road thanks

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If you go for a 29er you will need a small frame.

Nothing wrong with that, but check toe clearance.

You will work the steering more on the trail than on the road, it will be frustrating if you don't have the clearance for tight turns.

Muckypup

Maybe even demo some , bikes are weird ... Some look right but ride awful and visa versa ! Sometimes the shiny magpie syndrome sets in and you buy what you want : D ! Have tried 29,27.5,26 ... Wheel size is half the story , fit and geometry are key !

Muckypup

Hope you find a new toy , what ever you choose : D .

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Yes thanks hopefully if it fits and comfy I'll buy and go for a play on it as I live right by coastal pinewoods and paths ,only be entry level bike but will post a pic if I get it :bicycle::thumbsup:

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Opted for the Cannondale it was a great price £299 now ready to take it off road ,thanks for replies :bicycle::thumbsup: image.jpg

Top Bottom