Advice to improve performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wmtlynx

Hi,

I'm pretty new to cycling, having not ridden a bike since I was about 12 (30 now) until I bought a cheap British Eagle mountin bike from Asda for £65 last year as an impulse buy. Not clocked up too many miles, probably still less than 50 and I'm gradually getting fitter, climbing steeper hills and going faster. Done 3 9ish mile runs in the past week. I've taken the liberty of removing the buzzy tonka toy tyres and put slicks on it for now, as I'm using it on the road.

However, I'm very keen on cycling the canal towpaths. Not just the city ones that I don't find hard to ride along at all, but the rural ones that are generally a line of mud through stingers. Would I be better off putting my tonka tyres on for this, or maybe get a second pair of wheels to swap over? I had a go on the Stratford Canal towpath and had to go at walking pace in places because of the lack of grip. I'm on a budget at the moment so what's my best option?

Also, would it matter what brand of inner tube I get as spares? And what's the genuine feeling about slime-filled tubes?

Regards,
Steve from Birmingham.

I guess it depends upon the actual condition of the paths you want to ride on but you could consider some cyclocross (CX) tyres some of which will be okay for road and mud. However, a decent pair would approach the cost of your whole bike. But you might want to save the money and just see how you go with the original tyre set.

Inner tubes: some people have their preferred brand but any of a recognised brand would probably be fine - I tend to buy based upon what bulk-purchase offers happen to be around at the time.

Slime-filled tubes: My wife had some of these. They were a real pain to pump-up as I found I had to flatten the tyre first before I could start to get air back in. They can be a bit messy if you do puncture. One of the tubes seemed to perish - of course this may have nothing to do with the slim. The tyres never went flat while she had them so I guess they met their aim with that respect.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Hi Steve and welcome

As above the stock tyres that came with the bike will be good for a canal towpath.
Slime tyres, i wouldn't bother. teach yourself how to repair a puncture properly and carry a spare tube with you.
Brand of inner tubes ? I always used to use Continental, but i've now started buying Decathlon's own brand and I can't really tell the difference. Also used Halfords own brand in the past and they were fine.

If you're on a budget feel free to pop into Classifieds and put a wanted on if there's anything you need, most people have got bits lying around, and there's a fair few of us around Birmingham.

cheers

paul

Top Bottom