Advice wanted - campag rear mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Up front SRAM Apex Compact 50/34T crankset
At rear 10-speed Campagnolo 13-29 cassette

Campag Veloce ten speed shifters fore and aft.

Current front mech Campag race triple. current rear mech Campag Race Triple.

Which Campag rear mech should I/can I use to replace the rear Race Triple mech which is very long cage?

Bog standard 10 speed Veloce or Centaur medium or short cage?

All working fine but the rear mech just doesn't look right.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
as shown here

10270404_10202518908872694_8461626886269994675_n.jpg

Depending on the rear dropout / hanger (and it looks like they are verticals so you should be OK), either Veloce or Centaur 10s short cage should be fine.

The total tooth difference is right on the limit, but so long as the chain length is correctly set, ought to be OK.

For rear hanger length - the drop from the centre of the rear wheel axle to the centre of the top pivot bolt of the RD needs to be 24-28 mm - this will let the top jockey run under the 29 when on the small ring with no problems and the specified 5 - 7mm clearance - if the current RD is OK in that regard, also being Campag and having the same max sprocket size, the new design ones should be as well.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Campagnolo Main UK SC

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Depending on the rear dropout / hanger (and it looks like they are verticals so you should be OK), either Veloce or Centaur 10s short cage should be fine.

The total tooth difference is right on the limit, but so long as the chain length is correctly set, ought to be OK.

For rear hanger length - the drop from the centre of the rear wheel axle to the centre of the top pivot bolt of the RD needs to be 24-28 mm - this will let the top jockey run under the 29 when on the small ring with no problems and the specified 5 - 7mm clearance - if the current RD is OK in that regard, also being Campag and having the same max sprocket size, the new design ones should be as well.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Campagnolo Main UK SC
The height screw needed a couple of turns to get the 7mm gap which I put down to mech hangers being slightly different. Donor bike ali with a bolt-on mech hanger whereas this is a steel frame. Both hangers are vertical. Same wheel, same cassette.

Thanks. I've my eye on a pre-loved medium cage on fleabay.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Campagnolo Main UK SC
Hey @Graeme_FK a case of "holy thread resurrection, batman!' What's the max number of teeth on the large cog of the rear cassette that a current Veloce 10-speed mech take please? Thinking of going 16 - 30 for a very hilly ride.

Haha!

The spec says 29T ... depending on the hanger length you might get away with 30 but it's outside of the tested maximum so I'd say if you can borrow a 30T cassette and try it, you might be OK.

If you really mean a 16-30 cassette (16t obviously being a big cog to have as top sprocket) I think it could work, as you'll have enough chain wrap ... it's a question of the gap between the upper jockey and the biggest sprocket and the path the top jockey then takes relative to the sprockets to actually give the shift - you might get a slightly slow upshift ...

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Haha!

The spec says 29T ... depending on the hanger length you might get away with 30 but it's outside of the tested maximum so I'd say if you can borrow a 30T cassette and try it, you might be OK.

If you really mean a 16-30 cassette (16t obviously being a big cog to have as top sprocket) I think it could work, as you'll have enough chain wrap ... it's a question of the gap between the upper jockey and the biggest sprocket and the path the top jockey then takes relative to the sprockets to actually give the shift - you might get a slightly slow upshift ...
16 - 30 is right. My sort of riding rarely sees me using the smallest three or four smallest sprockets on the cassette so I figured I could live with it. That said 30 vs 29 isn't really a material difference for a granny gear so I probably won't bother given I can get a Veloce 12 - 29 cassette cheaper than a Miche, and it is a straight swap.

Many thanks.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Calling @Graeme_FK and his encyclopedic knowledge of Campagnolo....

Are Campagonolo Record 10 speed shifters which say "Record Ergopower" on the box, compatible with Campagnolo Record rear mech which only says Record (no mention of Ergopower) on the box?

Just want to ensure the NOS/BNIB Record bits I've bought are completely compatible with each other before I start swapping parts.

Mech = RD4-REXM 0102301 Desc. RECORD 10s rear der. medium cage
Shifters = EP7-REXC 0118700 Desc. RECORD 10S ERGOPOWER incl. cables/casings.

Thanks in anticipation....

Top Bottom