Advice - Winter/bad day bike/all year commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ellis

Guru
Hi,

My bikes are going through a bit of an overhaul at the moment. I'm getting Ribble Sportive with Ulterga on cyclescheme as a nice best bike but I'm have some spare cash and want to look into getting a 2nd bike so one bike doesn't have to do summer rides/commutes and winter rides. My ribble will be my summer bike so I'm looking for advice on a 2nd bike which will do everything else!

Ideally budget I have £800/£900 top end but would rather spend less than £800. I'd like to stick with a drop bar bike as most of my riding is on roads and some tarmac trails - so this is leading me down the road/cyclocross route - I like the benefits of having wider tyres say 30mm/32mm and potentially mudguard room.

My fav bike I have seen is the Cannondale Caadx but think price wise it's too much of a stretch. I have also seen

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/1568-asr-8.8.html

Or there is this from Boardman

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...oardman-cx-team-bike-50-53-55-5-57-5cm-frames

Sits high in my preferred budget but always seem to hear good things about boardman. Realistically, what I'm asking advice for is are there any hidden gems/brands out there worth looking into?

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
The black Alu Boardman looks as good as any, takes rack and mudguards which you'll want for winter/wet to protect the drivetrain and your back from the shoot stripe. Go try one out though, Cycle Republic offer on road tests unlike Halfords

Remember you can get 10% off at Halfords with British Cycling membership (as well as other benefits like legal cover and 3rd party indemnity)

Or Merlin have this, if you prefer a double over the 1x11 gearing

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-x20-tiagra-cyclocross-bike-2018-108754.html
Or
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-x30-tiagra-gravel-winter-bike-2018-105088.html

Or below budget but might benefit from a brake upgrade at some point
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g-tiagra-gravel-bike-2019-114706.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ellis

Guru
Ah nice options. Thanks. All those Merlin bikes look good value for the money! Didn't realise they have a shop only 20mins from me so I think I'll take a drive up there and do the same with the boardman.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My bikes are going through a bit of an overhaul at the moment.
Not one to get in the way of a new bike but, what bikes have you got already? It's a good time to be buying a 'nice' bike as the heavy discounting has started, so that is nice bike box ticked, but why buy two bikes when one of your current rides may just need a bit of servicing and a set of mudguards?

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb
I don't know if it's still the case but a few years ago I'd argue in favour of the B'Twin Triban 5 (now the 500 series).
The groupset is basic - but that just means it's less expensive to service after winter riding takes its inevitable toll. The stock wheels are terrible, though.

Stick on some mudguards, upgrade the wheels, maybe add a pannier rack (the clearances for the rack arms make this a faff) and you've got a surprising amount of bike for your money.

(And because it's so cheap you can take it off road without being precious about it. I've not done actual CX but have ridden some fairly gnarly stuff on mine)

OP
OP
E

ellis

Guru
Not one to get in the way of a new bike but, what bikes have you got already? It's a good time to be buying a 'nice' bike as the heavy discounting has started, so that is nice bike box ticked, but why buy two bikes when one of your current rides may just need a bit of servicing and a set of mudguards?

Well, overhaul was perhaps a bit of a representation on my behalf ! I’ve had a specialized Allez for the past 10 years whoch has done it all - nice rides, commuting, shopping rides etc. When I originally got it was just a bike and that was it as I have got older and got more into my cycling I realised I should have looked after it better etc and cycling has become more of a passion.

Unfortunately the allez has pretty much died a death from years of just being a Bike and not being looked after (past 2 years I have looked after it but previous years of abuse have caught up). Whole new drivetrain needed and alongside labour the cost of this outweihgs the practically, especially as I am in a position to treat myself. (Allez potentially being fixed up by local mechanic as a dedicated turbo bike - stripped a mates 10 year old Scott bike, not even sure what the components are!!)

I do have a couple of other bikes which I use infrequently which could b classed as part of the overhaul and getting a nice bike and a winter/commuter means they can be moved to pastures new without worrying about not having a bike for the occasion.

OP
OP
E

ellis

Guru
Drive...cycle there ;)

Probs best cycling there if I go in the car I’m very impulsive!

tom73

Guru
Ribble sportive nice one , love mine. Talking of Ribble they have just launched some nice new models which may well fit what you are looking for. Had a look at them yesterday they sure look good.

Top Bottom